April 14, 2015

Happy 5th Birthday Eli!


Eli requested a "play games as a family day" for his birthday.

Eli was up bright and earl, so excited for his birthday.  So, in the darkness of the morning, we tiptoed downstairs together.  The night before, we set out his presents and surrounded them with balloons.  This is him saying, "What.is.this.  Balloons are supposed to be on the ceiling."

I figured they would fall over night and the kids would just want to play with them, so I left them on the floor.  Oops.

Long ago, I made up the rule that you had to be 5 to chew gum.  First thing in the morning, Ben gave Eli his first piece of gum.  Here he is showing him how to chew it:

  I think it freaked him out that you just keep chewing and don't swallow.  So he would put a piece in, chew it for a minute, spit it out and make a comment about his jaw hurting.

We went to the Y for a little bit and then stopped to pick out some donuts.

  Eli picked a chocolate glazed.
 

For his birthday shirt, he got a new t-shirt to go with his theme=Minecraft + Lego.

He requested a jelly sandwich, cheetos and lemonade for lunch and then we opened presents.





Colin fit in the bag that his sward came in :)  

Rick was here visiting for the weekend and Eli really enjoyed having some time with him. 


Our kids also seem to like to change grandparents names and started calling Rick "Pop".  So Pop and Daddy took turns helping Eli put together his Mincraft Lego set.


This is my favorite picture of the day:


We got him the Minecraft game for the Xbox and the boys spent part of the afternoon playing that together.  I have no idea how to play but did my best to understand his narration of what he was doing.  He's a smart one, this little boy.

It was a perfect day outside, so we also spent a lot of time outside playing.  We had a party for dinner, complete with pizza and chocolate cake.


He requested a Minecraft cake that was chocolate with white frosting.  This is supposed to be the face of a creeper, but my m&m's are too far apart.  Eli said it looked creepy, so I guess it was a success.


I found these awesome Lego party favors at Target.  I set one at each seat and I think they were the biggest hit of the day.  Eli barely touched his pizza or cake and spent the whole "party" building ships and castles.




I had a great day celebrating my favorite 5 year old and I hope he did too.  I know I'm not ready for all this growing up.  He already is more confident and feels bigger.  Just today he said, "I can read now, I'm 5."

2 comments:

edj3 said...

Don't laugh, but I've been hitting refresh yesterday and today just waiting for this post. You're so faithful with the blog, which really helps Kent and me stay better connected. And you're a wish mama who knows her little introvert really does love an at home day with his family to celebrate his birthday :)

Jen Shear said...

I love it! I love how you are a faithful reader!