March 11, 2018

Reading Games

We seem to have hit a bit of a wall with Colin's reading.  As soon as I mention reading, he is on the floor in a fit.  Just getting him to sit down with the book is a workout in itself.  The kicker for me is, I know he can do it; he is capable of reading, he just refuses to put the work into it.

I feel like it's similar to potty training.  The "experts" would say not to push a child and when they're ready, they'll master it with ease.  I was tempted to just stop trying to push reading lessons for awhile and pick back up in 6 months, with hopes that it would be easier then.
 
Instead of quitting, I decided to rethink how we approach reading for him.  Colin is different than our other kids and that means he learns different too.  Plus, he's in kindergarten and a big part of this stage is learning through play.  So, I took the words from his reading lessons and instead of asking him to sit and read from the book, I turned them into a game.

This game was the most successful:
I wrote the words from the lesson on plastic cups.  Each one he read, he got to use that word cup to build a tower. So the more words he read, the taller the tower could be.  After he built the tower, I handed him a nerf gun and asked him to shoot certain words in the tower.


He had so much fun that the older kids wanted to play too!

No comments: