March 3, 2024

Maple Tree "farm"

 We went with our co-op to Brenners Maple Tree farm.  It was a true Long Island experience.  What I had in my head, definitely did not meet reality.  We drove an hour out east to get to the "farm".  I put it in quotations because any place that has a little space on it is considered a farm here.  Sure, it had a barn and a few chickens and a cow, but while everyone else was wowed, we were not.

We listened to Bob give a powerpoint presentation on plant science in the barn.  I really took this picture to document the NY coats...all the moms wear long puffy coats with fur hoods, all.the.time.  This day was in the 50s and everyone was in giant puffy coats.

Then, we went outside and saw THE maple tree that they tap.  This was the moment when Alison leaned over and whispered to me, "Did you pay for this?"  Yes I did.  I paid money to look at single tree.  To be honest, maple tree farm in my head equaled a whole lot more trees and maple gathering.

But you can see Eli has his arm around Alison in this picture ;)


Then we watched him boil down the maple.  Again, I thought this would be a whole lot more interesting.


At the very end, they served pancakes with the maple syrup and fresh maple candies.


This trip goes in the category of "we tried".  We went, we saw, we experienced.

No comments: