December 6, 2014

Preparing for Christmas


Last Sunday, we bought our very first live Christmas tree. 


We went inside to pay and the kids loved looking at all the toys.
 

We picked a tree and Ben loaded it into his car.



It took us awhile to figure out how to get a tree home, without a truck.  We picked the place that had the trees already wrapped and Ben folded down all the seats in his car.  It fit perfectly and I took the kids in the van.

When we got home, Ben trimmed some of the trunk (well, first we had to dig out a saw out of our attic) and then brought it inside.


Colin helping daddy:

  
We unwrapped the tree, gave it water and waited for it to open up.  We fed the kids dinner while we waited, but Eli ate like this:

 He watched every branch move and would shout "It's opening!!!".
After dinner, we got out the ornaments.  I was not prepared for how excited the kids would be about decorating the tree. 



Ben and I eventually sat back and stopped trying to make it pretty and just let the kids go to town.  
.


Later in the week, the boys and I did a little Christmas shopping and stopped by the donut store for a little treat. 



Eli asked yesterday if we could make chocolate chip cookies.




The moment was better than any picture could capture.  He was so happy and excited to be making cookies.  He looked at me with eyes full of joy and said, "I love making cookies with you mommy."  That was all I needed.  That moment was better than anything wrapped.



Not related to Christmas, but things I don't want to forget...things the kids said tonight:

(We had a Girl Scout event and the girls usually have to bring a canned good to get in)
Alison: Do I need to take a can of good?
Eli:  Can we have Bee-zert? (dessert)
Colin:  What's that noise?  Oh, I toot-ee (then he tries to look at his bottom)

1 comment:

edj3 said...

I love this post so much. Your friend is wise, wish I'd had someone tell me that back when the boys were little.