December 31, 2015

A tale of my stinker

It was a beautiful Sunday afternoon.  I went for a short run to try out my new running shoes, showered and was immediately called back outside to play.  It was just too nice to stay inside, so I threw on some clothes (and super cool compression sleeves) and joined the kids for a round of soccer.  The boys have been unable to stay out of pj's and Colin was even wearing his slippers!  I should have been embarrassed, but it's Christmas break and in the 70's, so I think it's the weather that should be embarrassed.

We came inside for dinner and then put the kids to bed.  It wasn't until everyone was asleep that I realized I hadn't put my wedding ring back on after that quick shower.  I went back to the bathroom and it.was.gone.  Ben and I tore apart the bathroom...we took out the sink drains and emptied the pipes into a bucket and dug through the trash.  Alison had taken a shower in there, so we decided to wait until the morning to ask if she knew where it was.  Let's just say, there were tears.  I thought I was losing my mind...how do you lose something you wear all the time, except for in the shower?  The next morning, none of the kids knew a thing about the ring.  I asked them to please help me look for it and the person who found it would get 20 pompoms.  I started this "helping jar"...the kids earn a pompom by doing something helpful (picking up is a big one) without being asked; when their jar is full, they get a date of their choice with mommy or daddy.
Alison genuinely helped me look, but it came with questions of "Are you and daddy still married?" and "Can you not buy a new one?".  When Ben got home from work, he was on a mission to find the ring and knew exactly which source to start with.  Colin.  He asked him point blank where he put my ring..."My closet" was his answer.  Stinker had sat quietly all day.  Ben marched him up to his room and had him show him where he hid my ring.  Sure enough, it was stashed on top of some clothes boxes.  When we asked him why he took my ring, he said he snuck it for his treasure.  Apparently his closet had turned into a pirate ship and he needed treasure (as I'm typing this, he's playing 'Jake and the Neverland Pirates' which I might just ban him from watching).  We also found my computer mouse in his dresser and I can only imagine what else will be uncovered in his room when we move.  So, Ben earned the 20 pompoms and distributed his loot between Alison and Eli and is taking them out on their dates this week.  Keeping me on my toes to the max this week.



Another thing about this stinker...he says 'grandparents' and 'last year' and e-cause (because) all.the.time.  He'll randomly say things like this:
"My grandparents live in California." He would usually add in "last year they came to visit and flew on an airplane." Any reference to time is "last year", even if it was yesterday that he's talking about.

1 comment:

edj3 said...

Oh my goodness! So glad you found it! I lost my wedding ring years ago, and I'm pretty sure the cat did something with it (it was the house on Madeline Lane). I never did find it :(