August 14, 2020

You can do hard things

I tell the kids this often and I'm a firm believer in practicing what I preach.  I purposely do something every once in awhile that scares me just a little; something that is definitely outside of my comfort zone.  We have hiked a mile up the Ray Miller Trail a handful of times with the kids and people visiting and I had the goal of one day running that route.  Every time we went, I would think, "Before we move, I'm going to run up this thing."  Was that scary?  Yes.  Ben runs this trail (like 16 miles of it!) all the time and he asked if he could go with me.  We picked a day and he gave a talk about how it was okay to go REALLY slow and walk when I needed to.  I assured him that I could run the whole way up...and I did!


 We got to the spot where we always stop with the kids and I said, "HA!  I did it!" 


 We ran another mile and a half up, further than I've ever gone up the mountain just hiking, without stoping.  And you know what?  It was amazing.


This is why it's so amazing to push yourself outside of your comfort zone.  It's so thrilling to see what you are actually capable of and to discover you might actually really love the thing that slightly scares you.


No comments: