February 12, 2009

New Words


I didn't realize how much I say the word 'awesome' until Alison said it the other day. All of the sudden this week she's started repeating everything and putting words together. She'll say, "I sit" or "Daddy shoe". Even last night we were standing in line at Target and Alison started saying, "Mommy cocoa". Ben looked at me said, "Jen, she's repeated the boy in the line next to us asking for cocoa puffs." One the way home from that Target run (we were out way too late) Alison started getting fussy so we had to break out the good ole' ABC's. We were shocked to hear her say perfectly 'stuvwxyz'. We tried to get a good video of it when we got home, but she was a little past the performing time. The last couple of days when we come inside I ask her to take off her shoes and then tell her good job. Today, when she saw me take off my shoes she came over and said, "Good job mommy!"
Alison had her 18 month check up this week. I'm happy to report she is very healthy and right on track. She's 25 pounds (5o percentile) and 2ft 9in (75 percentile).
While I was on the phone with my mom today Alison insisted on putting on her dress shoes and when I tried to take them off she threw a fit. I couldn't help but laugh at my peanut. When I look back at pictures I always think, "Why didn't my mom tell me I looked like a big dork and tell me to change?" and I told myself that I would help Alison through her awkward stages so she didn't look back and think the same thing. But then today I realized why my mom didn't say a thing. Is a pair of shoes really worth the fight? I think I have bigger fish to fry.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Before I had kids I said "I'll never be the mom that takes her kids out of the house without combing their hair or in their halloween costume" But as you said "I have bigger fish to fry" and I have committed both "fashion crimes" more than I would like to admit!

edj3 said...

Oh my, I know I've told about how Ben would tie a blanket around his head with the knot on his forehead and then put a cap on top as we headed out to school. All gentle suggestions by me that perhaps that wasn't the best thing to wear to school were ignore and I feared massive teasing. I should have known better; when I picked him up, all the kids had blankets and caps on.