July 13, 2009

Trip to Colorado


We just got home from an awesome trip to Colorado. We took too many picture to put them all on this post so I'm going to put them in the slide show on the right. Ben posted all of them here, and Kent took some amazing photos that you can see here.

The first video is some clips I put together from the trip and the second is from the hay ride. We left Virginia Tuesday morning at 4:45am, and as I predicted Alison was wide awake from that moment on. She did awesome the whole way there and I have to say the travel magnadoodle was the best thing I've ever purchased. We went to Ben's aunt and uncle's house in Denver when we first arrived and then followed them up to Estes Park. Ben's grandparents rented 2 houses and invited the whole family to come out. We were thankful for the invitation and the opportunity to see family. Ben actually met several of his cousins for the first time and to our benefit they are young and were able to play with Alison. Baby Schuler is only 6 months old and Alison fell completely in love with him. She always wanted to hold him and give him hugs and kisses. We spent the week hiking and hanging out with family.

Ben's aunt let us borrow a hiking pack that Alison could ride in. One morning we took Alison to a kid friendly hike that was pretty flat so she could actually walk. She only made it a short ways before a chipmunk ran straight towards her and scared her, and she quickly wanted back in the pack. A big group of us also went on a hay ride. Ben and I were excited to see that Alison enjoyed being around the horses. A year ago when we took her out to see my dad's horses she was petrified. We stopped halfway on the ride and roasted some marshmellows-Alison's first! One bite and she was done, but that just left more for me! I could have spent 3 more weeks hiking and being in the mountains. I certainly was not ready to come home, but I suppose no one is ever really ready to come home from vacation.

2 comments:

edj3 said...

Alison did so well--she wasn't afraid of all the new people in the least! I hope she's not too used to being carried everywhere though. Kent and I miss her already, I gotta say.

Jen Shear said...

She is definitely still catching up on sleep, but other than that seems to be just fine. We miss you guys too!