January 21, 2013

Seeing fruit



Whenever Alison and I play princesses, she always asks me which princess I want to be.  I always choose Cinderella because she's my favorite.  And Alison will say, "You don't want to be Cinderella.  All she does is work."  Then she'll get this pondering look on her face that says, "well, I guess that fits".  It's true.  Often the life of a mommy feels like Cinderella.  We're often covered in messes, waiting on other people and working all day just to keep the house clean.  Some times it feels like nothing is getting accomplished in these "Cinderella" days.

But then you get these really cool mommy moments that let you know it's all worth it.   You realize that they're watching you work and hearing your words, even if they're not directed at little ears.  This post is a reminder to myself...be encouraged; you're work is greater than grilled cheese sandwhiches, clean ears and conquering the laundry.


Alison's teacher told her that she's ready for 1st grade.  A simple compliment, true.  But I just let it simmer in my heart "my daughter can read".  She's not just reading, but telling the stories.  Seeing the fruit of years of work is sweet.

Alison grabbed her bible and "coffee", laid by the fire and started reading Genesis one morning.  She's seen me do it quietly for years, while they watch their morning show...but this morning she decided to join me.


We were all starving for lunch.  As I fed Colin, Alison took everyone's order: peanut butter and honey or cheese and crackers.  She went into the kitchen, stood on her tippy toes to get tortillas out of the bread box and somehow got the peanut butter out of the pantry.  She made her and Eliot a lunch of  peanut butter tortilla, grapes and a drink.  I couldn't count how many times she's asked me for lunch, but I will always remember the one time she made me lunch.
(please ignore the crying at the end.  I promise all was well)


2 comments:

Stacie said...

Those precious moments keep us mommy's going:-) Thank you for sharing in your special way to encourage readers like me.

Jamie said...

This was such an encouraging post! So proud of Alison!!