August 22, 2013

Marathon Training

T-minus 9 days until the big race.

Here's some snidbits from my training...

~I ran 10 miles in the rain on Monday.  It was crazy, yet beautiful.  I feel like this is the theme of my life right now.  I usually pour water on my head throughout my long runs, but God did it for me this day and it was one of the best experiences of my life.

 ~I ate skittles on my 10 mile run.  I tried those energy sport jellybeans...I ate 3 and thought I was going to vomit.  I figured the whole idea is to boost your sugar levels, so I switched them out for skittles.  Plus, what's more motivating than skittles?
~At least 6 regular marathon runners have told me that they will not run this race because of the conditions.  Sure wish someone would have told me that 4 months ago!  When a friend, who is a full marathon runner and triathlete, found out I was training for this race said, "if you are training through this heat and humidity, you're not a runner, you're a warrior."  That's right!  I am a warrior and I have definitely acclimated to running in hot conditions.

~I've been training primarily on the Windsor Castle Trial.  It's hilly and all gravel, but it's shaded and there's always a nice breeze.  When I've attempted runs through neighborhoods, the heat is unbearable.  My short run pace is about 8:30/mile and long run pace is about 9:30/mile.  I'm hoping that with a flat race course, my marathon pace will average out at 9:00, but I've been told that's a lofty goal for a first race.  Hey, I can dream, right?

~I couldn't have made it through training without Ben.  He's been there to encourage me when I've had a hard run and prayed with me when I wanted to quit.  He's finished dinner when I've hit a wall at the end of a long day and brought me tylenol when I can no longer move.  He showed the kids how far I ran in the car one day and took them to the trail to find my lost car key, all while teaching them how our great God provides and takes care of us.

~I've learned two lessons from training that I know my dad tried to teach me as a child.
       A.  Walk on the outsides of your feet:  he knew early on I needed to work on my form.  I struggled for about 3 weeks with blisters.  After the investment of special blister socks, wrapping my feet in high-tech tape and refining my "gate" I'm finally blister free.
      B.  If you don't think you can, you won't be able to do it:  running is 98% mental.  If you don't think you can do it, you won't.  If you don't want to do it, you won't.  If you for one minute think 10 miles is too long, it will be.

~I've had several mental road blocks to work through.  Running in rain was one.  Running on a treadmill is another, however I never conquered this one.  I just can't do it...I'd rather run in 100 degree weather for 20 miles than run on a treadmill.  I've had several runs that I spent the whole time thinking "This is so dumb!  Why in the world did I decide to do this?  If I wanted to do something for myself, why didn't I go get a pedicure?!?!  Is it really worth the sacrifice of time, energy and money?"
I now know why they make you pay $100 to run the race...because if I hadn't paid that much money, I for sure would have backed out.  
      
           ~On that note, running is an investment.  Running clothes, shoes, blister socks and tape, iphone holders and handheld water bottles.  But the best investment I've made over the last few months has been in Tide Sport with Febreeze.  I've always been a generic brand laundry detergent buyer, until now.  It's worth it and so nice to smell fresh and clean even when you're drenched in sweat.
           ~I've had to remind myself time and time again why I am doing this.  Yes, it's for me...it's a celebration of me.  For so many years I've wanted to do this and I'm celebrating finally being able to.  But more than that, I'm celebrating all of the blessings God has given me; a body that has carried and birthed 3 children, that has fought and conquered baby weight and now a body that can run 13.1 miles.  It's pretty amazing how God has designed and fashioned our bodies.  When a run is tough, I think back to being pregnant with Colin and how I felt like an alien in my own body.  I was screaming inside to run and be active and after he was born, I struggled immensely with not being immediately back to "normal" Jen.  And here I am.  I'm finally at the place I for so long longed to be.  And it's time to celebrate.

This is a shot from today's short 2.5 mile run...
And this is the hill that mentally gets me every time.  It doesn't look like much, but after the curve, there's another steep hill, and then another.  If I'm having a hard run, this is the spot I avoid at all costs. 

I cannot wait to be done, check it off my bucket list and slap that '13.1' sticker on my car.

What's next on my bucket list?
A getaway with my hubs to a vineyard to experience a real wine tasting.


6 comments:

Kent J said...

Let me know if you need help training for the wine tasting.

edj3 said...

I loved this post -- when is your race?

edj3 said...

Oh duh never mind. T minus 9 days. I just need to learn to read.

Jamie said...

I loved this post! I'm so proud of you! YOU ROCK!! I ate Welch's fruit snacks on my long race. I was too scared to try the gewey gel stuff. And I also thought they were super motivating. It was something to look forward to on a long run :)

Jen Shear said...

I've heard the gewey stuff made people vomit and was advised to never eat it...think I'll stick with skittles :)

alicia said...

Good for you, Jen!