August 14, 2013

Music to my ears

Shear kids hate dogs, are afraid of water and do not sing.  All three traits are surprising to me, but the singing one I just don't understand.  There's music in our house daily and every night when we sing with them, they just smile at us and say "thank you for that concert", but will never participate.  When they go to children's church or story time and are asked to sing the fun songs, they act like a ferocious dog is chasing them toward the ocean.

Poppy gave us a kids' worship CD awhile ago and we've listened to it a few times in the car.  While we were "unplugging" at the beach, we got stuck in a major traffic jam, right at dinner time.  We were all about to melt down when I popped in this music.  And a miracle happened...the kids started singing!

It was one of those moments I will always remember.  How sweet to hear their little voices singing praise songs.

*of course the kids stopped singing when they knew I was recording them, but you can hear Eli sing a little bit in the beginning.

 

On the same note, Ben has been giving Alison piano lessons in the evening.  She's learned how to play 'Mary had a little lamb' and is working on 'Skit-a-merink-y-dink'.  Here's a glimpse of our Sunday afternoon around the piano...of course Eli's not wearing any pants :)

1 comment:

edj3 said...

That is so weird re the not singing. Ben & Jordan both sang with us every night (I will boast just a bit and say they started with me, mostly because I sang the same tune with the same words every night -- as soon as Rick realized the kids could and would sing with me, he learned "my" song!).