August 6, 2013

Unplugged


Ben and I have been talking this summer about how we can live more "unplugged".
We've purposefully left computers turned off and cell phones on silent.
We've hidden ipads and left messages unanswered.

Why?
Because sometimes it's easier to search for meaning and relationships in technology than it is to build true relationships with the people sitting right next to you.

The kids had been begging to go to the beach and we thought it might be the perfect place to really "unplug" for a couple of days.

We were right and it was fabulous!

We played games and read books.
She's turning into such a beautiful little girl.

There was lots of truck playing
Colin has the cutest truck noise he makes while playing

And long afternoons on the beach
"let me tell you how this trip is going to go"

The weather was perfect the entire time and the kids loved just playing in the sand.


Well, I think Colin may have liked eating the sand a little more than playing in it.

Ben scooped up sand flees for the kids to look at

And built them many, many, many sandcastles and pools.

Alison and Eliot froze when they saw the ocean, but Colin charged right for it.


He's a fearless little guy and he's the only one in our family who has this beautiful tan skin.  I put equal amounts of sunscreen on all kids...Eli is as white as a snowman, but Colin has a better tan than me.  I'm just a little jealous :)

I am so thankful for our "unplugged" time, but 
I'm more thankful for my beautiful family that I got to spend it with.

As a mommy, being constantly plugged in is a struggle for me.  It's easy for me to be taking pictures on Instagram and sharing them on Facebook while my kids are playing at the park.  It's easy to browse Pinterest while they eat lunch and check emails while they watch a show.  It makes me feel connected to an outside world, but perhaps at the heart of it, I'm selfishly looking for my own validation.  
Through the quietness, I heard God whisper to me "let it go".
Let go of expectations, desires and favor.
Let go of what I think should be or what I think I want, and just enjoy what I have.

All that to say; it's worth it, I promise.
Turn off your phone and soak up the people right in front of you.


2 comments:

Kent J said...

A great post and you got some great photos to go with it!

edj3 said...

Excellent photos, I'll be snagging several to add to my digital frame at work :)