October 12, 2014

Hog Jog '14


We started Saturday morning off bright and early.  After picking up our race packets, we walked downtown to get some muffins.  Because I still couldn't walk quickly, we had to break major race rules and Ben wore my number and ran with Alison.  We felt okay with it because 1.) we couldn't let our 7 year old compete by herself and 2.) we were confident we would not be stealing anyone's medal.

Alison fueled up for the race with her favorite, a boston cream muffin.  I think it's hilarious that there's a police officer drinking a frappaccino in the back...only in Smithfield.

We made her pig ears and a tail the night before and she wore them the entire day.  In previous years there have been awards for the best dressed pig, but the tradition must have died because Alison was the only pig.

The boys and I stood up the hill from the start line to cheer Alison on in the beginning.
 

Colin was still wondering why he was awake and Eli was in awe of all the runners...and covered in chocolate.


Right after I snapped this picture, a strange wave of emotion hit me.  My little girl is running a 5K + seeing a dream of hers come true + I love the Hog Jog and it's been a special event to Ben and I and this year I couldn't even walk it + equal amounts of pride and pain of the sacrifice we made for Alison to run (I'm confident Ben would have placed if he could have really run).  I know that was a terrible run on sentence, but for a person who doesn't tear up much, I definitely was wiping away tears yesterday.

While they were running, the boys and I stopped by the farmer's market and then watched everyone cross the finish line.  I was so impressed at how patient the boys were, especially when Daddy and Alison took a little longer than I anticipated.
Ben said that Alison was amazing the whole time.  She never gave up or asked to quit, even though she was very tired.  Best part of the run=they held hands the whole time.

Racing to the finish line

As soon as she crossed the finish line she jumped in the stroller to rest.


 Ben had to whisk Eli to a soccer game and the rest of us got mandatory hotdogs.


Alison said that she loved running the race, but I cheered a little too loud.  And so it begins.  I'm officially the embarrassing mom.

That afternoon, I asked Ben to pick up some brown rice for me...this is what he came home with:


toys for the kids and pirate tequila for me.

Just so you know, if you have an Elmo guitar in your house, you need some tequila.

No comments: