November 5, 2014

Halloween '14

Alison and Ben both got home early on Friday, so we had the whole afternoon together before our Halloween party began. 


Alison dove into scooping out the guts while the boys wanted no part of being dirty. 


The kids designed the face and each took a turn helping me carve the pumpkin.



Doesn't he look older?



Ben was making pizza while we worked on the pumpkin and shortly some friends came over to join our party.  We ate dinner and then took turns passing out candy and taking the kids trick-or-treating.


 Alison decided to make her own Halloween costume this year.  She was Elsa and I am so proud  of her creativity.




The kids did great saying "trick-or-treat" and "thank you" and had a blast running around in the dark.  My favorite part was watching fearless Colin run up to houses by himself and then park himself on the porch to carefully put the piece of candy in his bag.



 We lost count how many suckers Colin had...suckers are his favorite!



2 comments:

edj3 said...

How do you handle the stash after Halloween? Do you dole it out to them a piece at a time, or let them have a free for all binge? I tried both ways, not sure either one was all that great. Love the costumes and hurrah for Alison's creativity!

Jen Shear said...

that's a great question. Last year I made a thankful chart and they could eat a piece of candy after dinner after they said what they were thankful for. Ben suggested we sell it back to our dentist (it's something they do) but we never got there. So, this year it's just sitting in a bowl on the top shelf of the pantry. I let them have a piece a day and will probably stash some for stockings. BUT I am so tired of hearing "can I have a piece of candy?"...I think you are right, there's no great solution.