October 23, 2015

Fall Vacation, Part 3


We went to Alison's soccer game for the first time as a family.  Ben played with the boys while Alison warmed up with her team.

Ben had to get some more stuff off the ship and was able to give us a tour.  I knew it was a big ship, but it literally took my breath away when we stood next to it.


It was good for the kids to see where he was while he was gone and helped us understand his deployed life.  He showed us where he slept, and I can't imagine sleeping a single night in this:
 

This was his office and where he'd send us emails.  This small space was for 3 chaplains and 3 RP's and 1 computer.


This is where the officer's ate meals:


And he showed us the smoke deck where his smoking club met


Being back at the ship stirred up a lot of emotions but most of all for me, it made me thankful that we can walk off and go home as a family.

We went to the zoo afterwards.  I've never been to the zoo in the late afternoon, but the animals were more active than I've seen them before.  We stood and watched the monkeys climb around for a long time.




We went to the pumpkin patch, but it was COLD!  We were only able to be out in the field for a few minutes because it was so cold.  Thankfully we were able to find a few good ones quickly.




Colin was dead set on the tiniest pumpkin he could find.
 

We sat in the car while Ben paid and got us ice cream.  You have to get the ice cream even if you're already freezing...it's just a requirement.


Boys making silly faces while we waited:
 


 

Eli showing his muscles:


They have the best pumpkin ice cream!

2 comments:

edj3 said...

Man, all three of them have the most beautiful eyes.

Am I remembering right that last year Colin wanted a pumpkin bigger than he was? Or did I make that up?

Jen Shear said...

That's a really good question...I don't remember. But I do remember eli picking a teeny tiny one when he went with the preschool so maybe it's an age thing