October 5, 2016

Melt my heart

This morning, we were taking a little walk around the block, when Alison said, "This sure is a great morning."  I asked her why she thought so because it really wasn't anything exciting.  What she said I just had to write down so I will always remember it.

"These kind of days are my favorite.  When I wake up to the sound of the boys playing and you have the windows open.  We don't have to be anywhere and can play outside and you cook lunch."


It just melted my heart and I was so thankful for her words.  It may not seem like much, but just knowing that she is enjoying our life made me happy.

Alison wearing my shirt and eating my lunch


It's cooled off some this week; mornings in the 70's and gets into the 90's by afternoon.  We are loving it and I'm having a hard time keeping the kids inside.  Soon we'll be able to do school outside on the picnic table and I'm really looking forward to that.

 

The small fact that they can go outside is a huge blessing to me.  People keep asking me how I'm getting a break, and this is it!  I love it that they love going outside and will play out there together for hours.  I realized how much more remarkable it is today.  There isn't a trampoline or playground or sandbox or sports equipment or even bubbles and we don't have comfy furniture, a fire pit or fancy lights.  Yet, we are out there all the time and the kids play for hours with rocks and sticks and run races and play with the dog and search for lizards.  It was a reminder to me that life can be fantastic without all the things the world tells us we need.

WARNING TO BEN SHEAR...STOP READING HERE.




The kids built this fort on the side of the house.  It's not the safest, I'll give you that, and I probably should have made them use a tarp instead of blankets, but I decided the memory of making a fort in the yard trumped those factors. 

2 comments:

edj3 said...

Now I'm curious, why would Ben dislike the fort? Heaven knows he built plenty as a kid.

Jen Shear said...

It goes in the category of letting them sit on the kitchen counter...Ben is WAY more cautious/safe than I am. He would say that the large sticks were not secure enough and would fall on their heads and tell them to take it down. I say they're going to get hurt somehow anyway, so let them have fun.