January 17, 2017

Real patience=moving at Christmas time.

Moving at a time when everyone's life and activity schedules are off of the normal is challenging.  When we were ready to jump in and find our new normal, there wasn't a normal.  We started attending a local church, but even there, we found most families were traveling or had family visiting and were preoccupied with Christmas festivities to meet new people.

We sighed a big sigh of relief when the New Year finally arrived.

The first Sunday of the month, our church has a fellowship meal after the service.  We decided to be bold and attend the meal.  We were walking into the hall, when the couple that sat next to us in service, introduced me to Erin.  Colin whispered, "Mom!  She looks like you!"
Yes, Erin has long blonde hair as well.  If only I could play the piano like she does too.

She was carrying a sweet baby in her arms and we talked for a few minutes before I was whisked off to help our kids get food.  As we finished the line, Erin asked if her family could sit with ours.

My first thought was, "Wow.  What an amazingly kind person!  I pray that someday I will remember her kindness and extend the same to a new person."
I'm not always great about reaching out to someone new and tend to stay with the people I'm comfortable with.

We shared lunch together that day and found that we leave really close to one another.  She asked for my phone number and texted me later to ask if I'd like to get together that week.  I was even more surprised by how kind this stranger was being to me.

We met that week at the park in our neighborhood.  The kids played and we sat on the bench to watch, and I got to hold her baby.



It was only a matter of minutes before Erin teared up.  She apologized for crying and shared that she has been struggling with loneliness since having her baby and especially since the holidays are now over.  The transition from working full time to stay-at-home mom was tougher than she imagined and the life of being home with a baby who doesn't talk was starting to get to her.  She said that she was so encouraged meeting me and finding out we lived nearby and was excited at the possibility of fellowship.  

My jaw was on the ground.  Um, I should have been the one in tears saying how lonely I was and how encouraged I was to meet a friend.  But somehow I was the one helping her.  She even commented how amazing it was that I was happy to hold her baby, as most in her life are uncomfortable with it.  I was even more shocked that anyone would not want to hold her squishy, happy baby.

Anyway, my eyes were opened that day.  I have felt like the awkward outsider, but have failed to see that people all around me, even ones who "have their place" can still feel like an outsider too.  It also taught me a great lesson that God uses us at all times.  Even when I feel like I am the one who needs help, He can still use me to help others.

No comments: