January 7, 2017

A hair of a tale


I got my hair cut; the shortest it's been since Colin was born.

I wish I could type: the end.

Alison asked me not to post this, so I promised to just graze over it.  However, it's an event worth documenting.

Shortly after I got home from that haircut, I received the news (not from the hair place) that our house had been infested with lice.  I will fully admit that I freaked out.  I would not have said I have OCD before, but I definitely did a lot of OCD things this week.  First of all, I was horrified that I had just gone to get my hair cut!

Anyway, keeping it light.

My mom was still here and helped me jump into action, although she unfortunately, was also a victim.  We were up late on New Years, not on purpose or fun, but because we were so busy cleaning, sanitizing, treating hair and picking nits.

The boys got a haircut

Apparently fireworks are a big thing here for New Year's and the kids requested a few sparklers.
 

Our house started to look like an infirmary.  See?  A little OCD about little bugs in my house.  We watched a movie while the hair treatments sat.


We did sparklers the following night too with another round of treatments.
 

What I want to remember of this week, is the times that I laughed harder than ever.  My mom accidentally hosed me down while rinsing out Alison's hair one evening.  Then, while my mom was taking a picture of the kids doing fireworks, the sprinkler system went off.  Alison screamed,  "Grandma!  RUN!" and I will never forget seeing my mom scurry out of the spraying water.

I want to remember that way more than the tears.  Both boys cried when I cut their hair (I actually cut it twice), but it worked like a charm and were lice free once the hair was super short.

Grandma treated us to homemade caramel popcorn

This week has been pretty consumed with getting the lice epidemic out, but the kids have found ways to stay entertained.  They set up their own tea party, with for real tea this time (usually it's lemonade).
 
 
They have been playing outside a TON.  I love it that they can ride bikes together around our quiet street.  I didn't love the awkward moment when a police officer stopped Alison and asked where her helmet was.  Thankfully I was right there and told them that their helmets were in quarantine because they had lice.  He stepped away and smiled.  Oh, the reactions you get when you tell people you have lice. 

We've been reading more.  Alison's on her third book and I am almost done with the new book by Chip and Joanna Gaines!  Super good book, by the way.
 

Eli made his own sandwich and somehow always ends up on the counter when he makes things.


Alison worked on her "travel" scrapbook and Eli worked on his last Lego set from Christmas.
 

A week later and I can see the light.  But lice, my friends, is not for the weary...or people who like to be clean...or are freaked out my tiny bugs they can't see that crawl on your head and multiply at alarming rates.  I have apologized to my kids for freaking out and reminded them that they will never forget the New Year's that they got lice.

2 comments:

Judith said...

I'm trying not to laugh. When I was a school nurse, I picked up one of of those little critters, called my boss at home (it was Sunday) and raced to her house to be further inspected. Fortunately there was only the one, but I was horrified.

Sounds like you did well, glad your mom was there to help. Any idea where the kids got them?

edj3 said...

Oh my goodness! We had a close call with lice (Jordan and Ben's school notified us there was an outbreak) but we escaped with no creepy crawlies in our hair. I'm with my mom, so glad your mom was there to help you!