April 6, 2017

Ben is HOME!

I'm excited just to type that!  Ah, it's over.  No more counting down days or chit-chat Facetime calls.

This coming home was a night and day difference from the last one...in a good way.  I was given specific instructions where to go and when to be there and what to expect; it was so refreshing.  Waiting all day to get daddy was a challenge, but it also gave us time to get some last minute things finished.  At lunch, I stopped and told these kids how amazing they are and how proud I am of them.  They really are the strongest kids I know.

Alison's thinking, "I really don't want to be taking a picture right now.  I just want to see my daddy."
We decided not to bring signs so our hands could be free to hug.


We went to the Sonoran Pueblo on base, where they had a movie playing and snacks for waiting families.  I REALLY appreciated this coming from our last experience, but we really didn't need it this time.  Just a few minutes from sitting down, we were told to go stand outside because the buses were coming.  


Alyssa (the XO's wife, her husband came home 10 days before and she kinda knew the ropes since she just did this) offered to come snap pictures for me.  It was so nice to not have to worry about capturing the moment and just be able to enjoy it.  Her husband came too and held my bag and helped us figure out the best place to meet Ben.

The last few moments of just us...waiting outside, playing 'Where's Waldo' in the sea of Marines, trying to find Ben.
P.S. Alison insisted that I curl my hair for the occasion.


Ben decided to forgo the bus and just walk over...I love that he's a rebel like that.  In hindsight, I wish I would have let the kids run to him when they first saw him, but I just really wanted this moment:





 

 

 

 

giving daddy lots of kisses



I loved that there was zero waiting, organization/communication, time to just enjoy and savor the moment and lots of people there to help with Ben's bags.  After snapping pictures, a couple of helpful marines loaded up our car and we were on our way back home.

We surprised Ben with a power tower waiting in the garage.  Happy Christmas/Birthday/Welcome Home!


Also good this time, Ben didn't stink!  He had been traveling for almost 2 days and was sweaty, but smelled like curry.  I'll take it!  He dished out trail mix for the kids to snack on while he cleaned up.

The boys were instantly in pj's.  I am so glad I didn't stress about their outfits for the day!  Then it was time for our tradition of souvenirs on our bed.


This was the part of the day that got me.  I thought I would cry when I saw Ben, but it felt like a dream; part of me thought it wasn't really happening and then part of me thought "of course we're together".  As he handed out gifts that he had gathered on his trips out in town, I saw how well he knows us and how much he thought of us while we were apart.  I'll post more later on the gifts, but for now, isn't this girl so pretty? 


Ben started unpacking and showed us all the medals he won while deployed.

I had enchiladas, black beans and guacamole waiting for our first dinner together.  Alison devoured dinner and commented on how long it's been since we've had a meal like that.  I know we're all ready for some good family meals.  The kids crashed at 7pm, the earliest they've been to bed in a long time.  They literally could not keep their eyes open and it just made me smile to see peace and rest overcome them.  Daddy's home.  We made it!

2 comments:

edj3 said...

Best post EVER!!!! Love it, love YOU.

Judith said...

Amen to Elizabeth's comment!