January 28, 2019

Catching up + our first visitor!

Julie came to visit!
Her husband surprised her with a plane ticket for her birthday and she got to have her first solo trip.  She was ready to leave dreary Michigan and come soak up the sun in California!  Her only request for the visit was to be outside as much as possible.  We went on a few runs together and a hike at Point Mugu state park.


We did some shopping and got several treats along the way.



Julie wanted to help with a house project, so we decided to tackle the most daunting one; laying new contact paper in the kitchen.  While the house has several updates, the cabinets are clearly original to the house and the shelves were disgusting.  This project was the most frustrating/infuriating thing I've ever done, yet left us laughing hysterically.  I would have quit if it hadn't been for Julie helping me laugh through it.  Sadly the job isn't done...anyone want to come help me finish???


Julie visiting also meant that I navigated the way to the LA airport twice!  Let's just say, this move has me wondering every day how I lived without an iPhone.

After Julie's visit:

I met a new friend for a hike; she lives in our neighborhood and is a fellow Navy wife.  Ironically, her name is Laurel.  I seem to have a thing with Laurels.  She moved here in October and witnessed the fires right by our house.  This hike is 5 minutes from our neighborhood and part of it was closed because of the fire damage.

Our house is just on the other side of that mountain

The kids and I explored downtown Camarillo.  We tried Mister Softee and it was the best ice cream we've ever had!



I had just started cooking dinner when Colin popped his head in the kitchen.  "Momma," he says," Is there anything I can help you with?"
I think I just stood there staring at him for a minute, trying to savor the preciousness of the moment and prayed that it wouldn't be the last time I heard these words.
I said yes, I absolutely needed lots of help and he helped me cook every single dish for dinner.

He chopped all those veggies himself!

Colin had his first soccer game!  He was so excited to be playing that he couldn't sleep the night before.
"Mom!  Do you KNOW what tomorrow is?!?!"
With only one, 45 minute practice beforehand, it was equally entertaining and impressive.





Colin is the tallest on his team, which makes Alison happy to not be alone in the "taller than everyone" club.

Afterward, we went to Mama Hummus for lunch.  This random picture is my favorite:

No comments: