August 5, 2019

Last Day of school!

We finished our school year July 26th.
When all the work was done and tests finished, we went to get pizza for lunch.


The kids wanted "sit down pizza", so we went to Toppers.  I filed this place away, if there is ever a time that we want to go out as a family but Ben and I want to talk...they were so enthralled with the TV's around that this is what they looked like the whole lunch:


I did get them to tell me some things they wanted to do over our break, but that was about it.  

When Ben got home from work, we had a little party.  He gave each of them a certificate and congratulated them on completing their grade.

6th grade, check.

 3rd grade, check.

 

 1st grade, check.






Our focus for this year was reading and I told the kids at the beginning of the year that we were going to see how many books we could read and then have a big celebration at the end to acknowledge all their work.  I didn't want to set a goal, because I didn't want them to reach a number and then just quit reading.  It was hard keeping track of the boys reading, but Alison did a stellar job.

Alison read 315 books!!!!
The boys read 164!

I am beyond proud of them.  We're going to Sea World in a couple of weeks to celebrate,
but for now, cupcakes and party blowers had to do.


Oh, yes...note to self for next year...buy graduation decorations in MAY...and don't even think about buying summer stuff in summer (I am thoroughly annoyed with stores stocking policies).

 I actually got pretty teary on this day.  I looked at the stack of books that we've finished this year and saw much more.  I saw the times that they worked on those books in a sea of boxes, while saying goodbye to dear friends, while unpacking their world into an unknown place, while being the definition of brave and making new friends and while figuring out a whole new rhythm of life.  I saw this day how many big life changes these kids have gone through all while learning; deployment, a cross-country move, another deployment, survival of the desert and another move.  I may say it a million times, but our kids are strong, amazing and brilliant people.

This year was another unique year and as we ended the year, I wondered "Was it enough?" (I'm pretty sure 100% of homeschool teachers think this at least 3 times a year).  I started to question whether I made the right decision with our time the last 7 months.  To be honest, people were a priority.  If there was an opportunity to make a friend or find a great activity or build fellowship, we were there.  That meant I did a lot of shuffling of schoolwork and shorter work days, but it also meant that they were meeting people and experiencing new things.

It didn't take long for me to realized that it was enough and our priorities are just right. 
I try to be diligent in keeping our schedule light because I believe it's a blessing when you leave space for people. If that's the only lesson they learn this year, I'm okay with that.



No comments: