July 4, 2022

Old Westbury Gardens


I will forever be thankful for Sarah Miller.  She was the first person I met on Long Island who also homeschools.  She is the pastor's wife of the church we've been attending and she was the first person to come up and talk to me...it took everything in me not to hug her!  It was like a weight came off my shoulders to finally meet someone who got our life.  Up until then, I got judgy faces and rude comments.  Granted, most people move to Sea Cliff for the schools, so I can understand why most don't understand homeschooling, but it was starting to feel very isolating.  Anyway, Sarah swooped me in and within 24 hours, had me plugged into LEAH (the main homeschool group on Long Island) and invited me to come to a picnic, where I was able to get plugged into the Thursday crew, where I found the Sports with Friends group.  The lifeline she threw me will never be forgotten.  Her daughter, Brieyn, and Alison have become good friends and have spent many days at each others houses.

Sarah texted me one day and asked if we wanted to join them for a picnic at Old Westbury Gardens.  Sure!  A picnic sounds nice.  HA!  We did not know that the gardens were actually at the Phipp's Mansion and were miles long.  It was beautiful...beyond beautiful.



There was actually a girl getting her quinceanera pictures taken with a whole entourage in this picture.  She had the biggest dress on that I have ever seen!  At first I thought maybe they were filming a movie.











They had these fake people all around and it started to get creepy.  We started to play the game "Is that person real or fake?".


I think we're going to put "visit all the mansions on Long Island" on our bucket list while living here.  I'll be better prepared next time to spend many hours there.

No comments: