April 25, 2009

Welcome summer!

I just love summer and I have a feeling this is going to be an exceptionally fun one. Since we're just renting a condo for now, we're limited to what we can do outside. I've seen a couple other people out washing their cars so I figured it was acceptable in this odd-ruled neighborhood and was a good excuse to get out and get wet. Alison didn't care for the hose which I was a little disappointed in, but she did have fun watering the plants. We bought a small plant to put on our table by the front door and I let Alison water it everyday. She got a little carried away and started watering every plant in the yard. It was nice to be outside just enjoying the day together.
I cleared the living room the other day while Alison wasn't wearing a diaper in fear of her having an accident on the rug. I was putting away the laundry and when I came out to get the basket Alison had climbed in and asked for a ride. Some times she just cracks me up.

As for potty training, we're just taking things slow. Alison wore underwear for 3 days and only had 2 accidents, but never went on the potty. Sounds impossible, I know. This girl can hold her pee like there's no tomorrow. I got to the point where I wanted her to pee all over the floor just to let it out. I've been able to get her to where a diaper yesterday and today, but she is still holding it for way too long even with massive amounts of liquids. She surprises me how acutely aware she is of what's going on. She knows she has to go to the bathroom and can tell me, but then won't go. Even tonight she was in the bathtub and said, "Uh Oh! Potty!" I pulled her out and put her on the potty, but nothing. I wanted to tell her, "Alison, you're a kid, you're supposed to just go in the tub. You've done it before. Why can't you do it now?" Anyway, for now most of the day she's wearing a diaper and we're trying to get her to go pee on the potty. This is really a blessing though it may seem like a set back. I leave this coming Wednesday for a conference and Ben was a little hesitant having to do potty training on his own while trying to work from home.

I had play group this week and I invited everyone to meet me at the park. Well, forget snacks, these women want to be outside. 10 women showed up!!! Ironically, a woman from Hope was invited by one of the other moms in the play group. It gave me a good laugh to see her there and I was so excited to see the park full of kids. I have learned that there seems to be a big group of women who have kids in preschool that know each other. It kind of feels like a secret club I stumbled upon, but the only problem is I don't have a preschooler to get me in. Maybe I should check into adopting.

4 comments:

edj3 said...

I miss you three. That's all I have to say about that!

katherine said...

Well, I just want to say that I am really happy to see Alison also wears a swim suit that actually covers some skin! Good job, mama.

Jen Shear said...

Katherine, it's funny you say that because I'm planning on getting a bigger one...the bottoms are a little too small for me. I'm already protective of what she wears.

Elizabeth, we miss you more!!!

edj3 said...

I completely agree with both of you about swimsuits and also clothing. That's why anything I ever make for her or any other children you have will always look like children's clothing and will cover things properly. Guess I'm a fuddy duddy Nana but I want little girls (and boys) to look like little girls (and boys), not miniature sex objects. That's just wrong.