April 12, 2016

Eli's 6th Birthday!

 

 7 am, Eli runs in our room and goes straight to Maya's crate to tell her it's his birthday.
He was not messing around this birthday...there was no waiting for breakfast or any activities, he wanted to open presents right away.

His "cheese" face somehow changed overnight





Alison wrote him a sweet note and gave him 11 cents ;)


After presents, all he wanted to do was build Lego's in his Batman Pj's.


I really don't know how long it takes kids to build these sets, but this one is for 8+ and it took him less than 2 hours with no help from us.  I think he's pretty genius, but I'm kinda biased.



We finally convinced him to change into some new clothes so we could go out and celebrate.


First stop, Toys R Us.


We found a light saber that he had really been wanting and a rocket Lego set.  He picked out a book this week at the local book fair that came with a Lego spaceman and he felt like the little man needed a ship.  Good thinking.

Eli's birthday theme request was "cheese".
Stop #2: Chuck E Cheese






Chuck E Cheese on a Monday during the school year is the perfect time to go.  There were only a few other people and we never had to wait for a game. 

Stop #3: Arizona Donuts

Spontaneous, non-cheese, stop for a little treat.  This place has the best donuts (sorry Ringo's) and also makes burritos.  Donuts and burritos...you read that right.  But before you judge, the burritos here are one of the best things I've ever eaten.  The movers requested this place for lunch the day we moved in and we are SO glad they led us here.

Eli ate his sprinkle donut and built his space ship while Ben made pizza.


 Colin was Ben's sidekick all afternoon and followed him around asking if he needed a helper.  Ben graciously let him help in everything he did.





 Cheese pizza and cheesecake party!


Eli said it tasted like super cheese cheesecake.
 


After dinner, we took Eli's new scooter out for a spin.  We walked down to the mailbox and he was excited to find mail from Nana and Grandaddy.

Then we explored an abandoned hummingbird next in our front yard.



The thing I love about Eli's birthday is how easy it is to please him.  He's excited about simple toys and is completely happy with no hoopla.  I personally enjoyed a day with my favorite Bubby.

It's funny watching kids grow up.  I had no idea that my baby boy would be a quiet, shy kid who loves being at home in his pj's.  We affectionately joke that Eli is a little like Amelia Bedelia; he takes everything literally.  When he got up yesterday, I asked him if he felt older, just being silly with him.  He very seriously examined his body and said, "I think my legs did grow last night!  But...my arms...are still the same."

Happy Birthday, Eliot James!  I am so thankful I get to be your momma!

2 comments:

Jamie said...

That's a great day!!!

edj3 said...

I love the new birthday traditions--well except for Chuck E Cheese. Took Jordan and Ben there one year and never again! Good idea to go in the middle of the day.