June 24, 2016

This and That


Random happenings of life:

Eli put on Colin's pants, which was hilarious on several levels.
1.) He would not be convinced that they were not his pants.
2.) His tushy is still so little that he can fit into Colin's pants! 
3.) The simple fact that he thought these were perfect storm trooper pants.


Alison and Eli are both playing basketball on base.  They don't communicate what you are really committing to when you sign up; 2 practices a week and a game on Saturday would be a lot for just one kid, but I have TWO kids playing.  So Monday and Wednesday evenings, we're on base for 2+ hours and we have our first game filled Saturday tomorrow.  AND the season goes all the way until mid-August.  Positives?  We're getting a lot of bang for our buck, it gives them an air conditioned activity to do through the summer and they are both loving it.  

I anticipated having to really encourage Eli to participate, like we did with soccer, but I was wrong.  He's jumped in with both feet and done really well!  At his first practice, he ran over to get a drink of water and I whispered in his ear, "You're doing great!  I'm so proud of you!" and he said confidently, "I know." and ran off.  A little mini Ben came out of him that I haven't seen before and it was awesome.

Eli in the orange shorts

Nana sent us a Cold Stone gift card to treat everyone for birthdays.  The couple of times we've been, the boys always want cotton candy.
 

Alison on the other hand, always chooses something new and different.  I've been impressed.  They haven't been flavors that I would choose, but I like it that she's exploring new options.  This time she chose banana with white chocolate chips.
 

Minecraft got a new update which I couldn't tell you a thing about, but I can tell you that all the little people in this house have been dying to play it as much as possible.
 

I kind of like it that they can play it together.

We survived our first 120° day!  I guess it might have actually been hotter than 120°, but our thermometer was maxed out.
 

We went to small group that night and the kids still wanted to eat/play outside.  I kept calling my kids inside, but non of the other moms seemed phased.  I stopped worrying for one minute and soon found both of my boys playing on their slip n' slide with their clothes on!  I guess you gotta do what you gotta do when it's 120° and all your friends are outside.  I threw the boys in the car naked to go home and Colin fell asleep on the way home...I have no idea how.
 

Poor choices was a theme this week with these 2.  Monday night, we had basketball practice.  I told the kids to get shoes on while I started the car and pulled it out onto the drive way to cool down.  Everyone loaded up and we drove to base.  We got on to base and it hit me..."Eli, you put your basketball shoes on, right?".  His response was a sheepish "no".  I parked the car and found Colin without shoes as well and thought, "What is happening?!".  I just don't understand how they didn't even put on flip flops!  So, I carried them into the gym and they were not even phased by having to sit at practice without shoes on.  Boys.
 

Maya is 99.9% better.  She still walks a little funny down the stairs, but she is back to running around the yard and chasing balls and doing naughty puppy things like eating Legos.
 

This picture is not the best and you shouldn't take pictures while driving...but seeing dust devils completely freaks me out!  The Kansas girl inside of me is screaming, "WHY IS NO ONE ELSE FREAKING OUT AND JUST DRIVING BY?!"  
 

The public library is only a mile away from our house and it is amazing.  There's a little cafe inside that the kids have been really curious to check out.  So today, I treated them to lunch at the cafe after we stocked up on books.  I was disappointed that it's really a glorified concessions stand, but the kids thought it was awesome.  Colin asked for a chili dog, which is a novelty for these kids.  It was messy, but they all loved that chili dog.
 

Today, during our school time, I asked Alison to write a paragraph about some fun things she would like to do this summer.  She wrote "Some fun things to do this summer would be swimming, go to San Diego and go to China."  Clearly getting away from the heat is on her brain.  I'm with her!  I'm trying to convince Ben to plan a trip to Flagstaff in August, just so I can have some cooler days to look forward to.

1 comment:

edj3 said...

Alison's been interested in China for a couple of years now, that's pretty cool.

I think I'll have to see if Kent will be the Minecraft guru for the two of us :)