June 3, 2016

Mom's 60th Birthday


 I invited mom to Arizona for her birthday and then schemed with Beth to surprise her.  Beth and Katherine flew in just a few hours before mom and we surprised her at the airport...I also got a good surprise when I found her talking with the dentist that I had a horrible experience with and thus cancelled all our appointments with...awkward.

So we had three days together to have some fun in the Arizona sun.

We took them to Arizona donuts for brunch (aka so we can get both burritos and donuts).



The kids had a tea party:


And we tried out the public pool:

The pools here make no sense, whatsoever.  The pools are only open a couple of hours, a couple of days a week.  


 Even weirder, is the kids are freezing after 10 minutes. 





Of course they came to visit on our first week of triple digit temperatures.  I was just praying that they didn't melt away!

We left the kiddos and my mom in the air conditioning and took Beth to our favorite taco truck.  We asked Ben to take our picture and he started snapping lots of pictures and I was saying, "Wait, I have cilantro in my teeth!" and we were laughing at how ridiculous this picture was going to be.



And if you don't believe we're sisters, we both have the one squinty eye thing when we smile...

We had an abundance of Mexican food and took mom out the next day for lunch.

We had a little party for mom after lunch, complete with brownies that the candles melted into!


 
This sweet little boy.  He sat quietly during the party and when things died down, he asked if Grandma was done opening presents.  I thought he just wanted to be excused to go play, but he grabbed a card he made and had hidden in the kitchen cabinet and gave it to Grandma.  His card said, "Happy Birthday Grandma, love Eli.  I hope you like your birthday."


He has just started trying to write independently, so his words are spelled how they sound in his head and it's a hoot to see.  I love it.

Just to leave you laughing and keep things real...
Ben was taking pictures and apparently his new thing is snapping a bazzillion pictures in a row and this was my reaction:

4 comments:

edj3 said...

Aw this post made me teary eyed. What a wonderful gift for your mother, to have both her daughters with her on a very special birthday. You're awesome :)

Kent J said...

I agree. It was a lovely thought and I'm glad you had a great time.


But tell me more about the doughnuts and burritos place.

Jen Shear said...

don't worry Kent, we'll take you there in a few weeks!

Kent J said...

Let's go early in case we need to go back.