September 9, 2016

Our first Marine Ball

Ben deploys in a few weeks and I am more stressed about this ball than him leaving.

We've never been to a ball and I have no idea what I'm getting myself into.  I've asked around and everyone just answers "it's formal".  Like get your hair done formal or try to remember how to curl it yourself, formal?  AND P.S. we live in Yuma and there's not a lot of options for buying/getting formalled up.  So a few weeks ago, Ben and I were talking about what I should wear (it's SO not fair guys have the easy way out and get to wear a designated suit) and contemplating what store's we could go shop.  Ben suggested I look through my closet to see what I had before we went shopping, which is kind of hilarious because I have very few clothes.  I dug to the back of my closet and pulled out my "keepsake dresses".  I really kept these dresses for Alison but they're still in good shape.  I tried to squeeze into my matron of honor dress from my sister's wedding and Ben rolled on the floor in laughter...apparently my rib cage wasn't full grown when my sister got married, reminding us of how little we were when we got married.  Sigh.  It was all fun and games until I slipped into my prom dress and Ben's face lit up.

"You have to wear that.  It's perfect."

He fully admits that maybe he was just being sentimental, but he still really wanted me to wear the dress.



When I was in Michigan, I went to Charmin Charlies with my friends.  There was a whole patriotic section that we thought would be hilarious if I actually decked myself out in.  Prom dress + patriotic jewelry=success.

Or maybe if I wore a mask, no one would notice the dress...

My friends did help me find some winning accessories that might class up the 16 year old dress.

Ben casually mentioned one day that we're at the command table because he has to give the opening prayer.  Awesome sauce.  Me and my prom dress are going to be at the command table.  Just call me the queen of awkward.



It was finally game time.
I spent the afternoon trying to get ready while doing all things mom.  The kids were in a tiff over a fort they built and who destroyed it and who should have to pick it up and there was pouting and crying and I was just thinking, "I DON'T HAVE TIME TO PARENT YOU RIGHT NOW!"  Things came down to the wire, which resulted in me painting my nails while giving instructions to the babysitter and then Eli told me my eyes looked weird and Alison tried to convince me to wear a tiara.  Ben scooted me out the door and we were off!  I was just hoping and praying that I actually had everything on that needed to be on.


I found a few tips on Pinterest for your first ball experience and they were right!  As long as your chest and your booty are covered and you don't get drunk, you'll be great.  As soon as we walked in, I knew exactly what Pinterest was talking about.

The ball was one of the coolest experiences of my life.  I fully own that I'm not the normal military wife and this gave me a close up look at Ben's everyday life.  I was overly proud.  In a sea of enlisted marines, Ben stuck out.  He was one of maybe 8 officers there and every single one of the head commanders came and shook his hand.  They knew his name, they called him sir; he was distinguished and poised and I was a puddle of mush.

At the command table

And guess what?  No one knew that I was rockin' my prom dress!

Senior year prom...I was SO excited to be going on a date with this super cute boy.  I knew he was different and I could definitely see spending my life with him.  Military life I never saw in our picture together and I can't say it's been the easiest journey, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.



No comments: