September 29, 2016

Today's Story

Alison and I picked out a new cookbook to cook through while Ben is gone.  We went through the Vitamix cookbook last year and it was something she still remembers and taught her some cook "cooking" skills.  We upgraded to real food this time, but a kid-friendly version.  It's making meal planning easy, which is a huge bonus.  This morning we made 'potato coins with a fried egg'...it was a huge win in this house.  I accidentally bought purple potatoes, so that helped the fun.


Alison started working on a project she's had on her list for a long time.  Maya's favorite thing to do is sneak stuffed animals out of the kids' rooms and "play" with them, which has equaled several animals missing eyes or having torn seams.  So Alison opened up an animal hospital this morning and stitched back together all of the injured patients. 
Clearly the boys played legos while she worked.
 

Poor pinky's eyes fell off, so I taught Alison how to sew on a button for new eyes.  
Nana, Alison is very excited to show you! 


After lunch I asked Eli if he thought we could finish the puzzle today.  He sat right down and helped me finish the whole center in about 10 minutes.  He's pretty stinkin' amazing.
 

It sprinkled and we ran outside to feel the raindrops.

Colin still frequently has his shoes on the wrong feet

Now for the real story.  We got out the sewing box for the animal hospital and while we were busy in surgery, Maya found my grandmothers pincushion and had some fun playing with it.  What puppy thinks playing with needles is fun???  How did we find out about this disaster?  Colin started crying that he stepped on a needle and Alison told him that he was just making it up because she was holding the needle and he kept going on and on about how bad his foot hurt and she kept telling him to stop being a cry baby...and then I walked into the schoolroom and found needles all over the floor! It was crazy.  I had to go inch my inch on my hands and knees searching for needles and looked over to find this:


It cracks me up!
Colin added a hand and foot to his body and wrote his name on the belly.

While I was cleaning up the needles, the boys asked if they could play monsters in the bathroom.  I admit, I didn't really think about what they were asking and said yes.  Never say yes to monsters in your bathroom...lesson learned.  This is what my shower currently looks like:


Apparently, monsters need a walkie talkie, a marine hat, an otter, a broom, a guitar, a gun, a sword and trail mix.  Just in case you ever need to be a monster, now you know what to have on hand.

2 comments:

edj3 said...

Wow! I am so proud of Alison for mending all the animals! I can't wait to see Pinky :)

Also I have only ever had (or even seen) purple potatoes in Hawaii, and I love them. They taste just a little different to me, and they're moister (is that a word). I'm a little jealous you have them there.

Jen Shear said...

Interesting. I guess we'll have to have some when you come!