November 1, 2016

Falloween Party

I think it's funny that my Halloween story is going to require 2 posts, but here we go.

I've wanted Halloween to be different for several years.  Nothing super spiritual, but because my kid's teeth cannot handle the candy (lesson learned the hard way) and I hate the constant debate about candy for months afterwards and I usually end up throwing all of the junk away.  Alison was very stressed about her costume because what she picked was hot and itchy.  For weeks, she tried creating several different things but remained stressed.  Finally, one day I told her that Halloween didn't have to be what she thinks it should be; we could do something different.  Her eyes lit up at the thought of not having to worry about a costume.  I suggested a little party instead and off she flew with plans.  We called it a Falloween Party, to focus more on fall fun with friends and she did a great job coming up with ideas.  She was still a little anxious yesterday because she wasn't sure I could pull it off.  She kept saying, "We've never had a party, momma."

First key to a party, is keeping kids busy for the day.  Eli was counting down the minutes until friends came!  So, first up, we painted spiderwebs.
 


It was in the 60's yesterday morning and I cranked open all the windows and Alison ran to bundle up.
 

The kids spent a long time at the counter, helping me prep things.

They made lollipop ghosts:

 And I realized how few craft projects I do with the boys.  Eli worked so diligently on making the ghosts:

They turned these cups into ghosts for a game:

Eli putting silverware in and Alison making signs for the food:

Colin organized the pente marbles that he destroyed...nothing to do with the party, but it kept him busy.

We peeled grapes to turn them into eyeballs:

 I made chili and Alison and Eli made cornbread:

After all that work, it was time to relax before we got all sugared up.  If Colin is going to nap, he always crashes on the red chair.  I folded laundry and the kids watched Hotel Transylvania 2.

Then we carved pumpkins.  I learned that most people here don't carve pumpkins because they wilt within a day if you do.  Eli really wants to roast the seeds, so we did anyway.  Quickly into this, I realized that 3 kids and 3 pumpkins and 1 momma doesn't go very well.  Even with the kid-friendly kits, they still need help.



They were not picture worthy results of pumpkins, but we did it and I think they had fun.  We were finally all ready for the party!

This kid's artwork:


Food ready and you can see the games set up in the living room.  We had "shoot ghosts with a nerf gun", "build a tower with candy pumpkins and toothpicks" and a ball toss into pumpkins.




Next up, party time!

No comments: