June 5, 2017

This school week

After family left, we jumped right back into school days.  The temperature is rising, but still feels pretty nice in the mornings and evenings.  For some reason, the kids were super into being outside this week, even wanting to do school out there.  One morning, Alison was dressed, had her chores done and was at the picnic table with her schoolwork by 8:00.  She really wanted to get it done so she could play...you have to be an organized teacher to keep up with Alison.  I do love that we have that flexibility; if we want to sit outside on a skateboard, with some music playing while we learn math, then we can :)



I tried to get it on video, but Eli doing this math page leaves me scratching my head.  He just learned adding 2 digit numbers where you carry a 1, but he doesn't carry the 1, he just looks at the numbers and writes the answer.  I'll ask him how in the world he knew the answer so quickly and he'll say, "Because 25+48=73"...there's no figuring it out, it's just what it is. I think I may need my grandpa to come teach him more advanced math because I do not understand how his brain manipulates numbers.

The skateboard is new to our house this week.  One of Elizabeth's co-workers sent us some gift cards as a thank you for our service.  I love that she included something for the kids; Toy's R Us gift cards!  They each picked out a toy; Alison, a skateboard.  Eli, a Hex bug + track.  Colin, a costume.  

I dug out Alison's old pads that I was about to donate and the boys took turns using them to learn how to skateboard.  Colin took one good tumble and decided to just sit on it.


When our work was done, Eli took a turn.

Then they dug out the sprinkler! Even Maya joined in on the fun, which was VERY surprising from a dog who runs at just hearing the word water.

All of the kids have done a fantastic job reading. Our little reading program worked like a charm! Alison is already on the 4th Harry Potter book, Eli has read 20 books and Colin is on lesson 16 of his learning to read book.  Alison and Eli celebrated their completed reading program with Cold Stone.


 They all have a competitive side and wanted to work to get more stickers than the other.  Colin sat down one day while I was eating lunch and asked to read to me.  He's doing a great job sounding words out but is still struggling to blend the sounds to figure out the word.  Baby steps...

1 comment:

edj3 said...

Oh my goodness, skate boarding! Bet Ben could give them lessons :)