June 24, 2017

This week

The kids went to VBS!  They LOVED it and it was the first time, maybe ever, that I've had a 3 hour break for 5 days.  It was glorious and I got just a little taste of what it would be like if they were in public school, but it was also was a good reminder for me that I really like having my kids home. Each day had a theme; this was crazy hair day.


I thought Alison just looked super cute.  She put a bunch of ponytails in Colin's hair and Eli asked me to gel up his hair, but then didn't want any spikes, so it just looked...like nothing, but it was crazy to him.


Our second week of cooking club=making chocolate cupcakes and buttercream frosting.  They learned the difference between baking powder and soda, how to make your own vanilla and powdered sugar and worked as a team to follow the recipe.
 

Eli had his second basketball game.  He is doing great and loving it so far.


This was the first full week of temps between 110-124.  You know it's bad when you think, "Oh good, it's only 107."  I feel more prepared for this summer, but I was reminded today of how much the heat zaps you even when you are just going to another air conditioned place.  I no longer see down time as a negative, because it's now a must (i.e. I make the kids sit and drink water under a fan when we get home).  It's strange how the heat wears you out.  Living in the desert is certainly a unique life; where water bottles go with you everywhere, and so do ice packs because the water will scald you if you don't.  Where sunshades can never be forgotten for your car or your eyes and swimming is sadly not the slightest refreshing.  Where you don't dare walk your puppy after 8 am and your mail doesn't get checked for a week because just walking to the mail box fries your skin off.  On the positive, each day we get through is one day closer to the amazing winter.

2 comments:

edj3 said...

I noticed you ran outside this week, during the day and not just with Ben! I can't imagine running much after 5am in this weather.

Jen Shear said...

My watch actually records it wrong and I haven't been able to figure out how to fix it. I run either at 5:30 or on the treadmill in the evening while Eli is at basketball. No, just walking outside during the day is hard enough