August 27, 2018

Monthly Meals

This is for Andrea :)  After a conversation about dinner, she asked if I would share what we eat.  Viola!
I keep a spreadsheet of meals and try to plan a month at a time, simply to make my life a little easier.  I have a giant list of all the meals we make and then insert them into the days of the month.  However, I am not good at following the "every Tuesday we eat Mexican" plan.  Maybe I have food ADHD or something, but I get bored easy and am constantly looking for new meals to add into the rotation.  I'll also add on the spreadsheet anything on our schedule that will affect food...if Ben is out of town, I always plan breakfast for dinner.  We usually eat leftovers for lunch, so it is very rare that we are able to do that for a dinner.

How do I cook in the heat?  I cook anything and everything I can in the Insta Pot and stagger cooking things throughout the day so the house isn't completely heated up at the same time.  I've also just been a rebel this summer and quit caring.  We've grilled and had soup when it was 106.  We're sweating anyway, might as well have a tasty dinner.

What about the kids? I try to plan meals that Ben and I will enjoy, that are healthy and are budget friendly.  I also want to expose the kids to different food, the same way I expose them to a variety of literature and music.  If there is a meal that I'm pretty sure they won't like, I'll add in something they do, but they still have to eat a little of everything.  For example, they're not huge fans of salmon, so I made sure they had fried rice (which could be a meal alone) to get enough food.  I think we sell kids short when we assume they won't eat something...they will surprise you.  I made up a recipe for stuffed eggplant, based off a Gwen Jorgeson video I saw and the kids LOVED it; like asked me to make it all the time, loved it.  I giggle each time they eat it because it's so easy and completely full of veggies.

I also just think it's interesting to document what you eat because it's always changing.  I wish I would have done this 10 years ago, because I know it would look completely different than this.  I always wonder what meals the kids will remember, as I have some distinct ones I remember my mom cooking. 

*Just let me know if you want any recipes!  Some are on our blog, some are on my Pinterest board and the rest are in a couple of my favorite cook books.


August
1WednesdayPork chops, cinnamon apples, veggie rice
2ThursdayTurkey burgers, sweet potato fries
3FridayPesto Pasta w/ chicken, no knead bread
4SaturdayPizza
5SundayTostadas, guacamole
6MondayAsian salmon, fried rice
7TuesdayCurry chicken, roasted root veggies
8WednesdayShepherd's pie
9ThursdayTortilla soup, quesadillas
10FridayGame night @ church
11SaturdayBeef stroganoff, salad
12SundayChicken pot pie, cinnamon apples
13MondayWaffles, sausageBen out of town
14TuesdaySpeghetti, meatballs, broccoli
15WednesdayChicken kabobs, coconut rice, roasted sweet potatoes
16ThursdayCarnitas, cabbage, quesadillas, guac, Rentz's for dinner
17FridayLeftovers
18SaturdayBurgers, hotdogs, corn salad 
19SundayBbq chicken sandwiches, baked beans
20Monday Summer soup, no knead bread
21TuesdayWalnut crusted salmon, green beans, potatoes
22WednesdayStuffed eggplant, sweet potatoes
23ThursdayChicken swarma, naan, greek salad
24FridayEnchiladas, guacamole
25SaturdayChili Peppers
26SundayChicken noodle soup, french bread
27MondayPork roast, broccoli salad, roasted potatoes
28TuesdayCoconut lime chicken, rice, cucumber salad
29WednesdayChicken potpie
30thursdayWaffles, bacon
31FridayPizza

MondayGrill:Soup
Lo meinchicken kabobschicken and rice soup
orange chickenflank steakchili
Beef and broccolibison burgersMinestrone (Run)
shrimp, sausage skillet, riceTandori chickenpotato soup
pesto shrimp with cherry tomatoesZuppa toscana
salmon sweet potato cakessummer soup-good for lunch
beef and cabbage, potstickersTortilla soup
Walnut crusted salmonred lentil soup
Tuesday:
blackened salmonTostadas
enchiladascarnitas
Wednesday
shepherds piechicken fingers, potatoes, peasporkchops, apples, veggie rice
Chicken potpie, baked apples (blog)stuffed eggplantbeef stroganoff
baked chicken, potatoes, greenbeansbacon wrapped stuffed chicken
Root lovers salad, turkey meatballs w/ dill sauceSwiss chicken and rice
schnitzel, spaetzlebbq chicken sandwhiches (CL)
Thursday:
Coconut curry chicken (blog)Indian Lentils (blog)
coconut lime chicken (pin)chicken curry w/ green beans (phone)
chana masala (pin)turmeric chicken
chicken swarmacajun chicken and rice
Friday
speghetti with ground turkey, sweet potatoes, broccoli
pasta carbinara
bruschetta pasta
baked penne with turkey (CL)
Pesto pasta

1 comment:

edj3 said...

Wow, this is great! Years ago I read some organizational book that tackled meal planning and their point was most families cycle through at most three weeks' worth of menus. You do a lot more than that!