September 23, 2019

Field Trip to the Getty Villa


When I asked if I wanted to go on this field trip, my first answer was "NO".  I had zero desire to drive into LA by myself.  Then Ben reminded me that I might be missing a great opportunity simply because I didn't want to drive there.  Point taken.  When near LA, I should probably do some LA things.  The drive was stressful, but once we actually got there, it was worth it.

Our homeschool group was divided up and I went with the younger boys.  Alison loves art and was excited to go, but I had to prepare the boys that even though this wasn't the most thrilling thing to them, they still had to participate.  I was pleasantly surprised at how much they actually loved this experience.

I did not take enough pictures to do this place justice, but I felt rude having my camera out during the tour.

This is walking into the main house:


This was a replica of Julius Caesar's father-in-law's house.

Our tour guide was a little old lady and it was clear that English was not her first language...but props to her, because she presented all of the history to the kids at their level and they got so much out of our time with her.  

After our official tour, I took the kids (plus Lily) back to the gardens, because it was just too beautiful not walk around in.


If you stood in the center of this circle and talked toward the seating, it amplified your voice and was a shocking experience.





I am so glad we went.  It sparked a lot interest in Roman history and we had some great conversations in the days following our trip. 

No comments: