September 23, 2019

School on the beach

Clearly life is pretty rough over here ;)

Why do school on the beach?  I'm glad you asked.  There are many reasons.

First, it's good for my soul.  
If you haven't read Sarah Mackenzie's book, 'Teaching from Rest', do it now.  I can't think of a better, more relaxing way to teach, than by the ocean.


Second, I loved the idea of doing a little work, then taking breaks to find sea glass or look for crabs or jump in the waves. 


Third, I want to break the box in my kids' minds of what learning looks like.  I want them to know that learning can happen ANYWHERE not just at a desk at a certain time.  I also want to give them tools to figure out what works for them...I often encourage them to pair learning with something they love, like listening to music or ,just to keep it real, munching on gummy bears.


Third, we're studying sea life in science this year and I am A-okay with spending lots of time by the sea to get a hands on experience of what we are learning.


Fourth, I wanted to carve out time to make a dent in this book. It's an extremely fascinating read.


Finally, because we live in California!  And this is what my homeschool dreams are made of!


No comments: