May 24, 2020

My Birthday

Ben and I went up to Ventura to run 8 miles along the ocean for my 38th birthday.  It was the best.  Especially because right now, you have to be moving to be near the beach...and don't even think about sitting down for a second on a bench...you couldn't if you even wanted to because they are wrapped like a mummy in caution tape.  I love it that Ben is willing to do whatever crazy plan I come up with.  He didn't even bat an eye that it was raining when we left our house. 


 We picked up coffee and croissants from Cafe Ficelle on the way home and my birthday could have been complete right there.  Fortunately for me, it just kept getting better.

My family got me some sweet presents and a giant balloon.  The great thing about having a birthday during a pandemic, is everything feels extra special because you know the effort that went into it to get it.  Even a card; you have to really think about shipping now and how long it will take to get somewhere.  Gone are the days of 2 day shipping.  I asked Ben all day long how in the world he got that giant balloon.  First of all, we were together 24-7.  Second of all, our stores have still been only selling essentials.  He finally told me that he got it at the grocery store down the street, but they only had a few balloons, so it was either this giant dog or Dora the Explorer.  I loved it.  Dora would have been pretty funny too, but I thought it made a very memorable birthday.


In the afternoon, Alison and I painted nails.


 We've actually been doing this quite a bit over quarantine and our stash has grown nicely.  Did you know that nail polish is essential?


Then we went to Mr. Softee's for ice cream!  It just opened back up (with lots of fun rules) and it sounded like the perfect treat.


Mine was delicious, but the messiest thing I have ever eaten.  I literally had ice cream pouring down my legs.  See?  In this picture, Alison is looking at the giant mess that I am trying to clean up.  We should have taken Maya; she could have had me cleaned up in no time.

 

Ben grilled Hawaiian kabobs for dinner and we hung out on our back patio for the rest of the evening.  Fingers crossed we'll be free by Colin's birthday!



No comments: