September 10, 2024

We made it!!!


Our last day of driving, we stopped in Utah for Swig to see what all the hype is about.  I was not impressed, but thankful I can say I tried it.

Our whole trip went smoothly and I really enjoyed the time with Eli.  I was a little done with Maya by the end, but the memories we made this week will stay forever.  

A heat wave hit, well probably everywhere, right at the time we were arriving in California.  Our landlord texted me to let me know of the heat (the house doesn't have central air) and let me know that he was bringing over a super fan.  He also put some water and oranges in the fridge and left toilet paper and paper towels for us...and brought in all the mattresses from the front porch for me.  I felt bad about that one, but also really appreciated it.  We set up camp in the living room and opened all the windows. 


I went to Walmart and Target and bought the last 3 little fans in the store.  It was like toilet paper during Covid all over again.  I channeled my previous Yuma living life and we made it through a couple of days of 100 degree weather.  To our advantage, it actually cools down in the evenings here and made sleeping very comfortable.

For a few days, our family was spread out across the country.


I tested my moving theory this move and I think I proved it correct.  I have suggested to people, if possible, to have one person go before everyone and set up "camp" at the new house.  Get things functional so that the family can do all the basic things right away.  If you have things set so that everyone can eat, sleep and shower right away, it takes away a layer of initial stress.  I was able to do that in the few days before everyone else arrived and I think it really helped.  It also helped that I'm somewhat familiar with Oceanside and getting to the store was not a huge stressful thing.

Ben, Alison and Colin all flew in to San Diego at the same time.  I picked them up, we got tacos for dinner at the world's best taco place in downtown and then headed up to the house.  It felt amazing to all be together again!

Ben was here for a couple of days for work and then had to go back to New York.  We're both camping out in empty houses at the moment.  I actually haven't minded it too much, but Maya would argue with me...she would like her bed...she just doesn't know what to do with herself.

trying to nap on the new bathmats


This is our dinner table situation right now :)



 

No comments: