September 10, 2008

ALISON'S WALKING!!!

Mark this day in your Calendars...September 1oth...Alison walked on her own! At 13 months and 10 days, it's about time. I just told Ben yesterday that I feel like we've been saying for eternity, "She'll be walking any day now." In fact I was worried she would start walking when he was in Romania-2 months ago! The past couple of days Alison has been standing on her own for up to 20 seconds. We were really excited and would cheer for her, but I realized that we were holding our breath while she was standing and cheering when she sat down. No wonder she hasn't walked yet; we cheer for her when she sits! That's confusing. So today I would super cheer any time she was standing on her own and the second she put a hand down I would stop. This afternoon she was standing and I was cheering and all of the sudden she walked across the living room. Not one or two steps-like 20. Everyone told me she would just take off one day and they were right. I started crying, swept her up for a big hug, and called Ben. She did it a couple of more times, but the video I got was terrible. I was just too excited to concentrate on video taping. A few notes before you watch these clips: Please excuse the obnoxious noises I'm making, I apologize for the second one being sideways and the random baby is Mckenzie...I was babysitting today.


I thought the day just couldn't get any better. I've waited and prayed for Alison to walk for so long. She's been changing a lot lately and it just blows me away. This will probably be the most video filled blog I will ever post, but it just was one of those days. We have this "dance machine" that has a microphone on it and Alison just figured out how to use it. Later she was "singing" into a hammer and then put it on Mckenzie's mouth to make her sing into it.


In the video, Mckenzie is sitting in this chair, the way it's supposed to be used. Alison tries to be the baby when Mckenzie is here and she spent a lot of time climbing in and out and trying to get the tray on. Notice her mismatch outfit and one sock. It was cold and I can't keep socks on this girl!



I think I've mentioned Alison new love for bananas. Her love has turned to obsession and she now points and says "na na" and this morning she said clear as day "banana". It's all she wants to eat and I confess I've let her eat multiple in a day. Today:3. THREE!!! I think there's a law against eating that much potassium! At dinner tonight I gave her all things she loves: rasberries, mixed veggies w/ mozzerella and ravioli, and all she could do was scream for bananas. The pediatrician told us that this would happen, that she would be really picky and probably only eat one good meal a day. I'm thankful for the warning and that she atleast picked a fruit, but I wish she wouldn't have picked something so...well, all you moms out there know what I'm trying to say.

Our day ended with Alison yet again cracking us up. Ben was giving her a bath and called me in to see her funny faces. Randomly he had blown in her face and she paused took in a breath, as if she was inhaling his puff of air, and then giggled.


I'm so thankful for our little ball of joy. I love watching her learn and grow and I know I will never forget this day.

2 comments:

katherine said...

Yay, Alison! That's exactly how Anna was when she learned to walk. No practice steps, no cruising, just up and walked across the room. It is so exciting and I honestly think walking makes things a little easier b/c then they're not dragging themselves across the floor but Anna is also very difficult to keep up with now. Way more so than before. Look out! And I don't think your noises are obnoxious. Just excited.

edj3 said...

Hahaha she is so much Ben's daughter--he too was 13 months old and I swear I thought he would never walk. Great videos, I got all teary watching her take her steps. Nana is cheering too, Alison!