September 22, 2008

Here's a story for you

First, if you would like a more thorough story about our trip to Chicago, check out my sister's rendition of it. She tells it much better.
http://www.changchapter.blogspot.com/

My story about Chicago was short because an open house was sprung on me and I was frantically trying to get our house ready to show. Yes, I know it should have already been done since the house is on the market, but I tend to get a little anal about the nitty gritty details no one else cares about. The open house was scheduled for Sunday from 2-4. Ben and I rushed home from Church, chowed down some lunch, finished some last minute details and then waited for the Realtor. We thought for sure she would be at our house by 1:30, but as 1:55 rolled around I asked Ben to give her a call and let him know he was going to be in big trouble if he had the dates wrong (I guess we would at least have a super clean house to get out of it). She let us know she was putting signs up around the neighborhood and would be there in a few minutes. She pulled up right as a couple was walking up to the house and Ben and I skidaddled out. We went back to Church to work on some things. We got a call about 3:50 from the Realtor saying she was going to start locking up and gave us the update on the one couple that came the entire afternoon. A few minutes later she called back and asked if there was a trick to the garage door. Um, push the button?! She informed us that a couple had come by to look at the house and started in the garage, however she didn't know they were in there and went about shutting up the house which included shutting the garage door. Yep, she shut them in the garage!!! Ben explained to her where the button was inside the garage to open the door but we coulddn't get her to understand the directions. The whole time we're frantically trying to get her to comprehend finding the bright red illuminated button, the poor people are stuck in the dark garage. Welcome to our house, we will shut you in the garage until you buy our house! Well, you can guess it...they didn't want to buy the house. But, just wait. There's more. The couple did finally get out of the garage and a few minutes after we hung up with the Realtor we got yet another phone call. She now informs me that she's locked herself out of our house and her purse and knitting materials are in our dryer. I make the trek home to let her in, only to find that she's locked the door from the florida room to the living room. Ben and I didn't even know it could lock and difinitely don't have a key for it. I think this might be the end of open houses for us.

Saturday we helped Kyle and Lydia load up there apartment before they headed to Nebraska. After all the hard work we treated ourselves to cider and donuts at the cider mill.Alison has done some really cute smart things the last couple of days. Saturday at the cider mill she walked over the diaper bag, fished out the wipe container, took my hand and put the wipes in my hand. I was pretty impressed at her coordination but was even more impressed when I got a big whiff of stinkiness and realized that she was telling me she needed her diaper changed. I put today on Ben's calendar awhile ago as a day I was going to sleep in and he needed to get up with Alison. Just my luck, today was the first day in Alison's life she slept until 9! I was wide awake by then, but I figured she wouldn't need a morning nap since she slept so late. Around 10:30 I was sitting in the living room, sipping some coffee when Alison came in, picked up her blanket with one hand, walked over and grabbed my hand with the other hand and pulled me to her bedroom. I was laughing so hard and couldn't believe she would actually be tired. I read her some books and laid her down. She laid in her crib for about 30 minutes softly talking to herself and then fell asleep. It's almost as if she just wanted some quiet time. Alison always keeps me laughing.

1 comment:

edj3 said...

OK she clearly gets her brains from you; Ben never let me know he needed his diaper changed, and in fact he seemed to relish having a dirty one on. Ew.