June 27, 2009

The best surprise ever!!!

Ben was supposed to get home from his 2 week trip in Florida right about now. I had this morning all planned out. I was going to unload the dishwasher, clean the sink, vacuum our bedroom, go to the Y, clean up and then he would be here! Last night I was laying in bed running over my morning schedule in my head when Ben called. He had told me that he was going to leave straight from school at 5:00, drive to South Carolina and spend the night and then finish the drive in the morning. He also told me that he'd call when he stopped (because I'm a worry wort and wanted to make sure he was safe), so I knew that's why he was calling late last night. I said, "So where'd you end up stopping?" and he said, "Why don't you come open the front door and find out?" I ran to the door to find him standing in the dark...man, he got me good! It truly was the best surprise ever.
We both went to get Alison this morning when she woke up. Ben was super anxious to see her and I couldn't wait to see the reaction on her face. Her reaction was quite opposite what I had envisioned. She was crying pretty hard and wasn't stopping when we came in her room. Instead of a smile she had tears rolling down her cheeks. Ben quickly found that her mouth was bleeding. Somehow she tore the muscle in between her front teeth. Our pediatrician warned us that this might happen because Alison's is much thicker than normal. In most cases it eventually has to be cut, but maybe whatever happened in her crib will prevent her from ever having that happen.
My plans for the morning weren't what I had planned, but they turned out to be far better. We found out that downtown Smithfield was having it's Olden Days weekend so we went to check it out. There were old cars lining the streets, people dressed up in costumes, horses pulling carriages and a Paula Deen look-a-like contest. Pair that up with the Farmer's Market and you have one fun morning.I also painted Alison's toes for the first time this morning. I thought Ben wouldn't want me to, but when Alison asked for her toes to be pretty too, he said it was okay. She sat more still than I thought she would and is so proud of her pretty toes.Last week Alison and I met Sarah, her little girl Maddie and baby Jon and the park. One good thing that has come from Alison picking up the Barney song is that she will now give hugs to her friends. The girls had a blast playing together and started calling eachother Madison. We thought it was pretty creative. Maybe life would be so much more simple if we all started combining names.

1 comment:

edj3 said...

Yay he's home and yay you guys had fun at the Olden Days! Love the toes too, Alison is such a little girl now.