June 7, 2009

Play Time!


William came over Friday for our weekly play date. They decided to turn the living room into a track and ran around pushing carts. What made me laugh was watching Alison try to push her cart. She's now too tall for, what we call the "mail cart", that we bought only a year ago to help her learn how to walk. She kept lifting it up and running with it and later resulted to walking on her knees so it was the right height. In the midst of them running around the "track", Alison stopped and sighed and said, "I love William."Yesterday Alison decided to pretend to be a kitty and climbed in the kitty cube. She thought it was the best thing in the world until she tried to get out. Ben and I were busy cleaning up so she was stuck in it for awhile. I thought it might just be the perfect time-out spot.Yesterday was also a special day because we added a Wii to the Shear house. When Ben and I first met we spent a lot of time playing Nintendo. In fact, Ben asked me to winter formal after a game of Tetrus. Earlier this week Ben made a big sacrifice for our family. He was very involved in an online computer game that he really enjoyed and thrived at. However, because of the nature of the game it took up all of his free time and left little quality time for our family. Ben quit the game this week, which spoke volumes to me. His decision told me that he values our family more than anything and is willing to do whatever it takes to make it the best it can be. In light of all this we decided to invest in our family, and what better than to go back to the roots of where it all began. As silly as this my sound, my prayer is that the Wii will give us something to do as a family that we all enjoy and bring us together. So far, I would say it's done it's job. I told Ben I wanted to give up cable TV, as he had his game. He didn't let me but I must say there has been some perks to Ben watching a little more TV. He watched a show on barbecuing ribs the other day and last night he grilled his first slab...boy, oh, boy where they good!!!
P.S. I realize that Alison is often photographed with no clothes on. I do dress the child, I promise. My disclaimer for this picture is that it was taken this morning before church and she had an accident in her pj's and I never put her church dress on until right before we leave, which didn't seem to make a difference this morning, as she spilled milk all over herself as we walked out the door.

3 comments:

edj3 said...

You guys will have a lot of fun with the Wii, I just know it. I especially love the picture of Alison sitting in the blue chair--that expression is very much one Ben used to do when he was little.

CaraBrown said...

I love the cute look on Williams face as he goes by the camera. It was cute to hear you giggle as he did. Funny ending with the disclaimer about Alison not wearing clothes. She's such a cutie.

Sarah said...

The Wii is awesome and is a great way to bring the family together! My husband recently gave up his online computer game that could very easily take over his life on a regular basis to spend more time with us and we do play the Wii much more as a family now. Even Maddie likes MarioKart (she loves to "drive" with the wheel, though it's never got a controller in it when she drives!).