January 1, 2011

My Christmas Card

I sat down to write our Christmas card and found that I had nothing new to say. Everything about the kids' life has been documented and thousands of pictures posted. I typed out a few things, like...Eliot James: born, tortured me with sleep deprivation, ate solid foods way early, absolutely the cutest boy I've ever seen and could snuggle with him for all eternity...Alison Louise: loves playing "mommy/daughter", took art and ballet class, started preschool, obsessed with peanut butter and honey sandwiches, rises before the sun. Then, Ben made a very good point. Anyone who would read this "card" knows all about our kids, but we never say anything about ourselves. Oh, right. I forgot I'm not just mommy to 2 kids, I'm Jen Shear too. So, here's MY Christmas card.

This year

I've learned...
  • how to feed a baby, entertain a toddler and cook dinner all at the same time
  • I still have blond moments
  • parents are CRAZY about Santa
  • I need to wear a name tag that says: Hello, my name is Jen Shear...NOT 'Alison's mommy'
  • I'm not a card person; I just think they're silly. Sorry Andrea Marlow, (i.e. the best, most thoughtful card person EVER) please still be my friend!

I've fallen in love with:
  • Chick-fil-A sauce
  • a hot cup of coffee in the morning
  • the wrinkle release button on the dryer
  • swiffers
  • my sweet baby's chubby cheeks-I find them absolutely irresistible to kiss millions of times a day
  • The New Adventures of Old Christine
  • a good fruity white wine

I've become:
  • a preschool teacher
  • the youngest member on the women's ministry team
  • the director of the meals ministry
  • the nursery coordinator
  • obsessed, perhaps a little neurotic, about the house being clean

My goals for this year are:
  • Stay in our food budget. I think I'm good at planning meals and budgeting, but I still fail miserably at actually staying in budget.
  • To become a certified instructor at the Y. This goal should have already been checked off, but I can't get over one little hurdle-the director. I've had 2 meetings with her and, no joke, every time she would leave to get something and never come back. Yes, she's that scatter brained.
  • Organize a small children's Christmas program
  • To start our book...crazy, I know. But Ben and I are aspiring to write a book...we'll see if it actually happens.

Now, it's your turn Ben...

1 comment:

edj3 said...

I LOVED this post--it's right in line with what we were talking about at Thanksgiving. Yes, you are a wife and a mother (and fantastic at both) but you are also a woman created by God and equally wonderful in your own right!