March 3, 2011

Dinner Time

Do you enjoy dinner time?
I confess that I often dread it. I love my family and wouldn't trade the craziness for anything, but dinner time often looks like this: Eli's in between my legs, trying to walk with me as I move around the kitchen cooking, or slamming the kitchen cabinets or in his highchair screaming for food. Alison's talking...she never stops talking...and asking questions and coloring or having tea parties or playing babies, all of which usually end up in the kitchen. The cats are swarming my feet and meowing, begging for food. About the time I think I can't answer one more question or listen to one more whine or trip over one more cat, Daddy walks in the door...which leads to the "Daddy's HOME!!!" rush. Dinner eventually gets to the table and Ben and I try to have a conversation over Alison talking about her boo-boo's and Eli's screams for the food that is on our plates. Some day I'm sure I'll miss the loudness around the dinner table, but for tonight, I decided I needed a craziness break. I fed the kids early and cleaned up the kitchen while some french onion soup was simmering on the stove.
Then we locked them up!
We poured some wine, had a real conversation and enjoyed a wonderful dinner.
It lasted awhile...until Alison taught Eli to bang on the gate.

Did you like the way Alison whispered in Eli's ear? She's telling him to ask us to let them out. She knows where to go to get what she wants.

2 comments:

katherine said...

This is hilarious. I couldn't agree more about dinner time. It is the craziest time of day. You're so good at writing about real life.

edj3 said...

I used to call it the witching hour. And Ben was always set up to ask stuff from us. Jordan knew to have him do it since he was younger.