August 11, 2011

A Day at the Zoo

Alison will be quick to tell you that she does NOT like the zoo.
But yesterday we learned the lesson that it's not always about us, and we have to think of other's needs...like her poor little brother who has only experienced a fraction of what Alison did at this age.

She still had a blast and didn't shed one tear. When we got to the lions and giraffes (the ones that frighten her the most) she would just stand back and say, "okay, Mommy. Let's go see another animal". I was impressed and so thankful that she held it together so Eli could actually see some animals.

Clearly Eli had no fear of any animal. This is him, literally a foot away from a BIG monkey.
We took the wagon as our transportation, and I've found that it's absolutely perfect for the stage my kids are in. Alison can ride when she gets tired of walking, and it's easy to get Eli in and out without having to worry about unbuckling him. Add a snack, and you have a perfect combination.


At the end of our trip we had a picnic and then played in the fountains.
Eli was ready to jump in...


and I don't think Alison even got a drip of water on her.

Alison talked about the zoo for the rest of the day. I felt good about making an effort to expose them to something we don't see everyday. But it also made me feel guilty for the things I've lacked on. By 16 months, Alison could say all the animals sounds and point to body parts. All Eli can say is Mama. Sigh. It's been heaving on my heart. Have I been too focused on Alison and neglected Eli's needs? I suppose every mother goes through periods of feeling like this and I suppose it's a good thing I'm concerned about providing what he needs...but for now, we'll be reading lots and lots books in this house!

3 comments:

alicia said...

I feel the same thing every now and again. You just can't give the second one as much attention as the first, but I try to find times whenever possible, mostly it's before/after naptimes....or force Nico to play on his own for a while so I can spend some time with Isa. It's hard :( and I don't know if it will ever seem "fair." But I have heard this expression before - that fair isn't always equal. And I believe there are advantages to being born second just by what they get to watch and take in....so we'll just do the best we can. Eli will know that you love him and do the best you can!! I'm glad you had a good time at the zoo!

Vanessa said...

Keep in mind, boys don't learn to speak as fast as girls, so Eli sounds right on track! I don't think you're neglecting him at all :) Our pediatrician told us that Finn probably wouldn't start using more words until about 18 months - and he was right. Once we hit that mark his vocab exploded. I've known other boys who didn't really start talking until after 2. So I would urge you to let go of some of that burden on your heart, and realize that your kiddos are just different :) You are such a great mama!!!

Jen Shear said...

thank you for all your encouragement! It's just what I needed to hear!