August 24, 2011

We're all shook up!

We experienced our first earthquake yesterday!

Here's my account:
It was naptime...Eli was sleeping, Alison was in her room not sleeping. I was at my desk working on the computer when I heard a rumble and my chair started shaking. I had a candle lit on our kitchen table and it started swaying back and forth. I stood up to look outside to see if a large truck was coming down the street. Nope, no truck. The rumble grew louder and I thought maybe a tornado was coming. Nope, the sky was clear and sunny. The house looked and felt like it was swaying. I stood in Alison's doorway, with my hand over my heart. She looked at me perplexed and asked what was wrong. I asked her if she heard the noise or felt the house moving. She plainly said no. Then I thought I must be dying. Maybe I was having a brain aneurism and the house really wasn't it swaying. The door frame around our hall bath was shaking and a crack ran up to the ceiling. I stood there paralyzed thinking, "Is the house going to collapse? Shouldn't I be running my babies OUT of this house? Should I get Eli up? Is it safer in this non rattling door frame or outside in our wooded lot? Maybe it really is all in my head and I should call 911." About that time it stopped and Alison calmly climbed back in bed and fell asleep. My neighbor texted me and asked if my house was swaying too. Oh thankgoodness! I wasn't dying! I was so thankful I wasn't the only one who felt it! I went to text her back, but my phone wouldn't work. So I turned to my friend, facebook, where I found Ben Shear wrote "definitely just felt an earthquake", with a link to an article about it...seriously within 1 minute of it happening. Why couldn't I figure out what was going on? Why didn't I know what to do? A friend called later to see if I was okay and I told her that I stood in Alison's door frame. She asked why I did that...because that's what they did on an episode of Full House :) Isn't it crazy the things we remember from silly shows and isn't it more crazy that this is the only information I had about what to do in an earthquake?

This leads me to Ben's account (I'm narrating what he told me when he got home from work):
I was sitting at my desk, I heard the rumble and saw the Hope sign shake. So I posted on facebook, "definitely just felt an earthquake"...and I'm pretty sure I was the first person to put that on there!

How is it that Ben just calmly sits at his desk and thinks, "wow, I just sat through an earthquake" and I'm frantically running through the house thinking I'm dying. I guess it means we're a perfect match. He calms me down and helps me to PREPARE for crazy events in life.

Speaking of crazy events...we're supposed to be hit with a hurricane Sunday morning. Doesn't that sound like fun? I don't really know how to prepare for this either, but I'll have my calm husband with me this time.

After an eventful day, Ben decided it was time for some music.
Before you watch the video, let me just say 2 things:
1. yes, I know it's time to sign Alison up for dance lessons...I have no idea where she learns her moves.
2. yes, I know my children are never wearing clothes in my posts. I'm sorry. I really do put clothes on them!!!

1 comment:

edj3 said...

Love the dancing :-) And I'm glad everyone survived yesterday's earthquake OK.