January 16, 2012

Life Giving


Our road is getting easier, but I've still found it challenging. Though pregnancy sickness has gotten better, we've been battling colds for the last several weeks and in a short week, Ben will have his wisdom teeth removed. It seems like it's been months since we've all be healthy and fully functioning. Yes, life has been different and instead of bustling around, we've been home A LOT (and a majority of the time still in pj's).


This time has made me really see behaviors and attitudes my kids have and left me questioning how to parent them. However, this time has been a great learning time for me. Ben said it perfectly in his last sermon, "What is your first response when a problem arises? Is it to turn to yourself and worry? Or is it to turn to God and PRAY?" I've thought about this so many times. When Eli throws himself on the floor, screaming "NO!", do I exasperatedly sigh and give in? Or do I pray for him and for wisdom? When Alison has been crying for 30 minutes because her panties feel bubbly, do I scream at her to just buck up and get dressed already? Or do I pray for patience and understanding?


A friend passed this along to me one morning and it was changing for me. The facts are that:
  • God called me to be their mom. He designed me for them and individually crafted me to my specific children.
  • When God calls, He equips. He doesn't leave me...He's given me His Spirit and His Word and has equipped me to train my children to glorify Him.
  • I need His vision to see my children like He sees them and to see their hearts, not just their actions.
  • Today will soon be gone and this stage my kids are in won't last forever...tomorrow it will be something new that I will still need His grace and wisdom on.
  • Every moment has purpose. No moment is apart from His ultimate sovereign ordaining. So even in "my panties are bubbly" whining, sobbing moments, there is a purpose and an opportunity to share Christ.
  • His word is living and active. I can't change my kids' hearts, but He can. I can plant the seeds and He will bring the increase.
  • My actions and words impact my kids greatly! If my thoughts bless and honor God, then my words will bless and honor God, and in turn my children. Pray that I would think life-giving thoughts and would speak life-giving words to my kids.
All this to say, I hope others find this encouraging too. I have been so blessed the past few weeks as I've PRAYED first and have seen the Lord provide the patience and wisdom that I've needed.

I can see this long time of sickness now as a blessing. Alright, I AM ready for the snot to be gone, but it has blessed me more than months of health would. I've fallen more in love with my kids and grown closer to my Savior...nothing can replace that.

2 comments:

katherine said...

I've never heard the bubbly underwear complaint, but we have plenty of drama around here, too. Thanks for the reminder to pray first.

Also, I found our woombies so when your baby comes if you'd like to borrow them you are welcome to them.

edj3 said...

I, too, am not sure what bubbly underwear means but I do feel for you with no one feeling quite up to par.