October 8, 2013

Bout of Croup

 Friday, I knew Colin wasn't feeling super great, but didn't think much of it.  
But then he woke up a few hours after being in bed, barely able to breath.
I googled answers and called Beth and we spent the night trying every remedy there is.  Ben was away on a trip and I wanted to make it through the night so I didn't have to wake up the kids...but I knew I was going to have to get help.  By morning, he still was working hard to breath and we headed to the ER.  They were quick to get us back and immediately diagnosed him with croup.  He was given steroids and a breathing treatment and they took x-rays to make sure he didn't have pneumonia.

waiting for the meds to kick in
I could tell an immediate difference once he got the medicine.  Praise the Lord!
But then they told me we had to wait for 3 hours to see if he continued to improve and I realized that I had all of my kids in the ER.  
Do you know what happens in the ER?  Emergencies...and my kids were watching.  Praise the Lord for friends who can get on base!  Katie quickly came to get the kids and took care of them the rest of the day.

Finally asleep after a LONG night

We ended the day with a movie/pizza night and ate lots of junk food...chocolate solves everything :)
Colin has continued to get better each day.  He hasn't had any wheezing since Saturday and only has a slight cough.
I'm so thankful that it's over and I am so sorry I haven't been more sympathetic to other momma's that have been through it.

1 comment:

edj3 said...

What a rough day to handle on your own :(