August 19, 2014

First solo sewing

Shortly after Nana left, Alison asked if we could do another sewing project.  I wanted to keep her interest and creativity flowing, so I agreed to another project.  I had just told her we weren't getting a new backpack or lunchbox this year (she still has several good choices), so she asked if we could make a lunch bag.  I found a couple of ideas on Pinterest, but Alison wanted to design her own.  So we made our own pattern and went off of her drawing.

We were about to begin sewing when she decided it had to have a pocket on the front with her name on it.  Our new machine does some embroidery, so we spent an afternoon learning how to put her name on it.  She also added some hearts underneath.

Alison helped me sew the handles and sides on and I assembled the rest.  Going off of a 7 year old's drawing is not easy, plus I have little sewing experience.  I finished it one night after she went to bed and was so excited to see a complete project.


We still need to add a snap at the top and if I did it again, I would add insulation and a waterproof liner.  I can see why sewing is addictive.  It felt so good to have a vision come to completion!  It's kind of like a puzzle for me...but one that Colin can't hide all the pieces to.

There were stressful moments, because sewing with a 7 year old is not easy, but it was completely worth it.  The first day we were working on it, Alison said that her dream had come true.  When I asked her what she meant, she said, "I just didn't think we would be able to sew without Nana here."

2 comments:

edj3 said...

I love this so much -- this made my day today. Go, you two with the designing and the sewing!

Judith said...

Great work, both of you. And the material is gorgeous.

You might want to look at magnetic snaps or sew-on Velcro unless they won't work now that the bag is finished.

Way to go, Alison.