August 4, 2014

Sewing lessons

 Elizabeth came Friday to spend the weekend giving Alison her first sewing lessons.  They picked a dress to make and spent Friday evening measuring and pinning the outfit.  Alison didn't like getting her thumb pricked, so she used a thimble I had in the sewing box my grandma Emile gave me.  It was special to me to get out that box that still has some things from her, but with added new things for Alison.  I'm sure grandma would laugh that she now has purple scissors in her box.


Saturday they cut the fabric and began learning how to use the new machine.  Alison was so meticulous and her perfectionist personality came in handy.



Pretty much all of the sewing looked like this:

Alison sat in Elizabeth's lap and controlled the petal while Elizabeth steered the fabric.  It was a great way for Alison to learn how to control the machine with the safety of not sewing her finger.

I tried to watch as much of the lessons as I could, but most of the time we were trying to keep Colin out of the room.  Eli however, was very interested in what was going on and often wanted to sit and watch too.

Saturday afternoon, we took a sewing break and Elizabeth treated the girls to pedicures.  The lady that owns the salon adores Alison and gave her the full treatment this time.

She was the happiest little girl in the world and is now asking for daily foot rubs.


Sunday afternoon the dress was completed!


I am so proud of both of them!  Alison was teachable and stayed interested the whole weekend and Elizabeth had the patience to sew with a 7 year old while little boys were running around!  I'm excited for many more projects to come!

1 comment:

edj3 said...

I so loved doing this, I can't wait to do more projects with her :)