August 16, 2014

Soccer!

 We decided it was time for Eli to experience an organized activity and he has several friends playing soccer.  We figured it was a good place to start...I was pretty sure he could run around a field, although I was still nervous about how he would actually do.  Shortly after signing him up, we got an email that they were short 5 coaches for his age group, so Ben jumped in and agreed to coach.  We recruited a fellow dad to help be his assistant, but he was on vacation for the first practice.


So Tuesday night we all headed to the field and met with 5 other kids and jumped into the unknown world of soccer.  Naturally, we are the only novice family, but the first practice went great.

Before practice began, Ben let Alison and Colin run around the field.  I think we may have signed the wrong kid up because Alison was actually pretty good.


Once practice began, we camped out on the bleachers and Alison and Colin did great cheering Eli on.  They didn't even mind a little rain.


I have to say that I am beyond proud of Eli.  He did amazing.  He had a great attitude and followed instructions and actually kicked the ball.
I did learn a lesson this night with new sports: be careful how you dress them.  I grabbed a shirt that just happened to be a baseball shirt and on the way to practice he asked Ben where is glove was.  He asked, "How am I going to catch the ball without my glove?". 


I was equally proud of Ben that night.  I know Ben can do anything, but teaching 6 kids how to play a sport you haven't played since elementary school takes skill.  He did a great job with the kids and they all had a lot of fun.  He did hysterically say that it was kind of like herding cats.
 

Guess I'm officially a soccer mom...a soccer mom who needs to bring more water next time!  This kid was thirsty

1 comment:

edj3 said...

Aww that's so cool!