July 9, 2015

Boy's check-ups

Both boys had a check up yesterday.  I wonder when I'll stop these check up posts...eventually the kids will be so embarrassed that I've announced their personal information.  

There's good news, not so great news and interesting news.

Eli is 40% for weight, 50% for height and picture perfect healthy.
Colin is 0% for weight and 40% for height.  Yes, you read that right.  A big, fat, ole' zero.  However, the doctor said that his growth curve is going up...Colin's curve just happens to not be on a chart.  I'm thankful that we've seen the same doctor for the last year and a half and he sees Colin as a healthy, active, thriving little boy with a high metabolism.  He did ask if I would consider seeing a nutritionist again, but I declined.  When we went to see her, she just told me to add lots of fats to his diet and the doctor agreed with me that it's hard to feed just one person in the family a high fat diet.  He also agreed with me when I told him I don't want to fill Colin up with sugar and highly processed food just to "fatten him up".  He still wants to keep a close eye on Colin's weight and make sure he never loses weight and if his curve plateaus in a year, then he wants to run some more tests.

I will admit that I am consistently inconsistent and in light of being in the 0%, we stopped by Krispy Kreme on the way home.


The interesting part of the appointment came when they were asking me the slew of questions about our home life.  The asked about school (I told them we homeschool) and if the kids get 2 hours or less of screen time a day.  I said yes and the doctor said that he doesn't count things educational as screen time.  I kinda chuckled and asked if Minecraft counts as educational...trying to be funny.  He seriously said, "Actually, yes."  So much for making a joke.  He said that he just read a research article that said young kids who play Minecraft are above average in math and architectural concepts than their peers.  He said that it will greatly increase their ability to catch on quickly to more complicated concepts in their teen years.  Awesome.  Now I just need Colin to start playing so he can be a tiny genius.

1 comment:

edj3 said...

Well phooey on Colin's weight. I mean, yes he's healthy and that's the most important thing, but gosh he is a little chicken wing. But I agree with you, adding empty calories isn't a good thing either.